• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

15x58 ED (1 Viewer)

jayman_1975

I just received a pair of these and had a bit of time to mess around with them. Good lord are they sweet. Big and heavy yes but I find the weight makes them easier to hold steady. I can't believe how clear these are edge to edge. One thing that is a deal breaker on a pair of binos is fuzziness around the edges, and these have none. I also own a pair of Minox HG 8x33 MIG and find that these 15EDs are just about as good other than slightly less resolution and a little on the warmer side rather than a complete neutral colour rendering.

I really wanted aquire a ten power bin to round out my needs but I honestly can't see how I would get much use for them. Honestly I think I would want to get as close as I can when I'm glassing and these 15s will do it. I'm just tickled with them.

One downside, I have noticed that there is a piece of fuzz on one of the internal lenses. I can't see it possible for it to get inside from regular use so I'm guessing it came from the factory. I really don't think it is affecting the view whatsoever and I can't see it when I look through them. Would you guys send them in to have it removed or just forget about it?

I just received a pair of these and had a bit of time to mess around with them. Good lord are they sweet. Big and heavy yes but I find the weight makes them easier to hold steady. I can't believe how clear these are edge to edge. One thing that is a deal breaker on a pair of binos is fuzziness around the edges, and these have none. I also own a pair of Minox HG 8x33 MIG and find that these 15EDs are just about as good other than slightly less resolution and a little on the warmer side rather than a complete neutral colour rendering.

I really wanted aquire a ten power bin to round out my needs but I honestly can't see how I would get much use for them. Honestly I think I would want to get as close as I can when I'm glassing and these 15s will do it. I'm just tickled with them.

One downside, I have noticed that there is a piece of fuzz on one of the internal lenses. I can't see it possible for it to get inside from regular use so I'm guessing it came from the factory. I really don't think it is affecting the view whatsoever and I can't see it when I look through them. Would you guys send them in to have it removed or just forget about it?

I don't remember seeing anything? I wonder if during shipping something got banged around? Bryce...

It's right in the middle of the left ocular lense. It looks like it's suspended about a half inch below the glass. No worries like I said it doesn't show up. These things are excellent I still can't believe you sold them! Thanks a lot.

I would forget about it. If you are happy with the binocular and like the view, look through the eyepieces instead of objective lens, that is what counts.;) You are set up pretty decent for long distance viewing! This binocular and a 60mmED Fieldscope!:t:

At one time I compared the 15x58 BD, ED with another Big Eye, the 13x56 BL, concurrent version at that time. (I think it was 2008). Doug at CameraLand, NY told me that the 15x had better optics. He was selling the 15x multiple copies at the time.

I picked the 13x BL because I believe I would use it more often. The view through the Minox BL seems to remind me of the Pentax SP series in the way the view gets presented to the eyes. This view looks flat to the eyes. I can tell that the illumination of the exit pupil is not complete on the periphery of the view.

I know that others of you have disagreed with my description of the exit pupil. What I mean is that the outer left or right 15-20% edges is viewed with only one eye. The other eye is obstructed with the prisms or field stop. This is done so cleanly that the view is uniformly presented to the eye, as if both eyes were seeing it.

Of course, all of us just re-center the item in view in the binoculars. All binoculars have this small detail to some extent. This is an engineering choice because they do not want to have too large a prism to make the binoculars too heavy for use. Of course when you are working with a Big Eye, the binoculars are very heavy anyway. (BL 38.1 oz. compared to BD 53.28 oz.)

I noticed this stereoscopic effect when looking out my front window through the curtains. Each eye could see only a slice of the front yard, with a 60% overlap. When looking to the left, I could see more with the right eye, and looking the the right, I could see more with the left eye. With both eyes open I had the apparent view that was almost twice what each eye could see alone.

I know this is a bit wordy. If I held a 15x BD, ed in my hands I would check to see how much both eyes could see the view and not have any occultation of one eye. Also I would like to see how the view is presnted to the eye, "flat field" and "clear like air" adjectives.

If you have a high end 12x, does the 15x get much time in use? Was I wrong to pick the 13x BL? In terms of money, of course the 15x BD has retained much more value. Maybe that is a clue to the consensus answer.

Thanks for you reading this long post,
Rob.

At one time I compared the 15x58 BD, ED with another Big Eye, the 13x56 BL, concurrent version at that time. (I think it was 2008). Doug at CameraLand, NY told me that the 15x had better optics. He was selling the 15x multiple copies at the time.

I picked the 13x BL because I believe I would use it more often. The view through the Minox BL seems to remind me of the Pentax SP series in the way the view gets presented to the eyes. This view looks flat to the eyes. I can tell that the illumination of the exit pupil is not complete on the periphery of the view.

I know that others of you have disagreed with my description of the exit pupil. What I mean is that the outer left or right 15-20% edges is viewed with only one eye. The other eye is obstructed with the prisms or field stop. This is done so cleanly that the view is uniformly presented to the eye, as if both eyes were seeing it.

Of course, all of us just re-center the item in view in the binoculars. All binoculars have this small detail to some extent. This is an engineering choice because they do not want to have too large a prism to make the binoculars too heavy for use. Of course when you are working with a Big Eye, the binoculars are very heavy anyway. (BL 38.1 oz. compared to BD 53.28 oz.)

I noticed this stereoscopic effect when looking out my front window through the curtains. Each eye could see only a slice of the front yard, with a 60% overlap. When looking to the left, I could see more with the right eye, and looking the the right, I could see more with the left eye. With both eyes open I had the apparent view that was almost twice what each eye could see alone.

I know this is a bit wordy. If I held a 15x BD, ed in my hands I would check to see how much both eyes could see the view and not have any occultation of one eye. Also I would like to see how the view is presnted to the eye, "flat field" and "clear like air" adjectives.

If you have a high end 12x, does the 15x get much time in use? Was I wrong to pick the 13x BL? In terms of money, of course the 15x BD has retained much more value. Maybe that is a clue to the consensus answer.

Thanks for you reading this long post,
Rob.

I had a Minox 15x58ED. It was superb. I dispensed with it, and currently have a Swaro SLC 15x56 as my "Big Eyes". TBH, I wouldn´t let a bit of invisible fluff put me off the Minox. It´s close enough to the SLC to be a real contender. I had a Minox 13xBL briefly, but sent it back. It didn´t cut it compared to the bigger brother; I think it had a lot more CA and wasn´t nearly as bright. Currently I have an old 12x50 B&L Elite, which is very special, and obviously more hand-holdable than the 15x SLC. As regards the question of 12x v. 15x, the latter doesn´t get a lot of field-time, only for seawatching. I could easily get by with the 12x B&L.

The MINOX in question I can vouch for I owned it.
It is superb, I hope he gets a lot of enjoyment from it.
This sample is really one I have a regret for selling.
I hope I didn't make a mistake?
It just wasn't being used like it should.
I hope Justin gets many years of enjoyment from it.

I would feel much better if he did.

Bryce...

Bryce, I smile every time I look through them. I can hold them just fine for spotting game and other wildlife. As much as I love my HG 8x33 MIG, these 15 EDs are gonna get used way more.

Excellent! I feel much better. They are fine glass.
I actually prefer this model over the ones that had the diopter
On the the center focus wheel. Bryce...

Excellent! I feel much better. They are fine glass.
I actually prefer this model over the ones that had the diopter
On the the center focus wheel. Bryce...

Funny you mention that, I have seen pics of the ones that have the diopter adjustment on the Center wheel and now I have these. Is that the only difference between the two models? Is it an age difference as well? I think I prefer this style much better as there's no chance I could accidentally bump it while focusing. I did find it odd that it doesn't lock but it's well enough out of the way to not be an issue.

You guys have been enjoying an excellent binoculars!

I wonder when the next good 15x ed binoculars comes along. I noticed a Vortex Kaibab for sale for about 900 dollars used. I wonder how it measures against that Minox 15x BD, ed.

I hope you enjoy it for many years!
Rob.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back