• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica vs. Swarovski (1 Viewer)

JCJ

Hello!
I would like for someone to please give me some insite on the Leica Ultravid 10x50s and a Swarovski slc 10x50s. I plan to buy one or the other, and am interested in some other opinions. I am interested in optical quality only -not size or weight. I would rather recieve information from a person who has actually compared these two modles.

Thank You

Last edited:
JCJ said:
Hello!
I would like for someone to please give me some insite on the Leica Ultravid 10x50s and a Swarovski slc 10x50s. I plan to buy one or the other, and am interested in some other opinions. I am interested in optical quality only -not size or weight. I would rather recieve information from a person who has actually compared these two modles.

Thank You

Hi,

didn´t I give you some informations before? However, I once wrote a little comparison report in usenet. It was the 10x50 Leica Trinovid that I wrote about. The 10x50 Ultravid is very similar with very very slightly more brightness and contrast than the Trinovid. The FOV is still the greatest of all 10x50/56 I know and it´s one of the best working binos in respect of CA, just as good as the new Zeiss Victory FLs. I would assume that the Leica Ultravid is now at least on par with the 10x50 Swaro in respect of brightness and contrast. There are some rumours that Swarovski would rebuild their big SLC series next year to make them lighter.

Here is the link:
http://groups.google.de/[email protected]

Steve

I seem to remember I've been down this road before, too B :)

I bought the Swarovski 10x50 SLC after comparing it with the Ultravid 10x50.

Both have truly excellent optics, perhaps with a very slight edge to the Leica. The reason I ended up with the Swarovski was that the Leica, to my surprise and dissapointment, showed pretty much flaring/ghosting. The Swarovski was excellent in this respect.

I think you should leave both binos alone and buy leupold golden rings.Leupold has better warranty than anybody in the business.Also you are going to get quality with leupold not lint,dust,coatings coming off,and of course the rattling EL'S.Leupolds bino is going to be tougher than the big three, because people that buy leupold actually use the product not just glance at a bird at the local sporting goods store and then talk about CA and pincusion distortion.

mork said:
I think you should leave both binos alone and buy leupold golden rings.Leupold has better warranty than anybody in the business.Also you are going to get quality with leupold not lint,dust,coatings coming off,and of course the rattling EL'S.Leupolds bino is going to be tougher than the big three, because people that buy leupold actually use the product not just glance at a bird at the local sporting goods store and then talk about CA and pincusion distortion.

Mork, I am not familiar with Leupold, but you sound awfully like one of their reps! What do you think all those expensive toys are used for? Except for some lintwatchers and some collectors, these binos are used just like any others, and certainly not just by a few people watching from cars and hides. Or why would being waterproof be so important, for example?

mork said:
Odd. :h?:

And to be clear, I just bought a new pair of EL's, and they don't rattle.

mork said:

Excellent. Some surreal humour on BF. Leif

Leupold Gold Rings... 938g - almost as much as the Nikon HGs.
I would advice them to start designing the "L"-model ASAP.

Ilkka

mork said:

Ahh the excellent warranty. In the auto business, Hyundai brags about having the best warranty running, must mean the Hyundai is the superior make. In the lower models Leupold sources lesser prism glass, shines it up with L-coat, and tells you it is worth more money that way. I wouldn't recommend a company that charges extra for downgraded optics.

JCJ said:
Hello!

Thank You

The only important difference between Leica and Swarovski, to my mind, is that the Swarovski have a warmer image. The only way to see if this matters to your eyes is try them both out.

Antony Kay said:
The only important difference between Leica and Swarovski, to my mind, is that the Swarovski have a warmer image. The only way to see if this matters to your eyes is try them both out.
My wife's 10x42 SLCs definitely have a warmer image compared to my 8.5x42 ELs. It's funny though - those SLCs used to be mine, and when I used them, I never did notice the warmer tone until I'd owned them for a couple of years. And even then I didn't care about it. I think it's whatever you get used to. I do prefer the more neutral color of the ELs now though.

Gentlemen,i guess its time for the flash light test for the great plastic FL'S and i know i better not drop them with that great zeiss warranty but the the FL has such a great close focus,peace of mind.

mork said:
Gentlemen,i guess its time for the flash light test for the great plastic FL'S and i know i better not drop them with that great zeiss warranty but the the FL has such a great close focus,peace of mind.

Here comes the lintwatcher again. :h?:

When you're out birding,just take a casual glance at the distinctlty,Austro-German binos on show,BRITS know their gear
Happy Leica user.

"Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody's face but their own"--Johathan Swift

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back