• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gimbal Head Service (1 Viewer)

mollymawk

I own a Jobu Black Widow Gimbal head. It provides sterling service atop a Gitzo tripod and supporting a 500mm f/4 lens. I had noticed that it wasn't rotating or tilting with quite so smoothly as it did when first purchased. The manufacturer's and the UK distributor's websites weren't helpful merely stating that the bearings were greased at the time of assembly and service wasn't needed.

I researched on-line and found references to 'damping' or 'dampening' grease. A company called Newgate Simms was very helpful and Peter Wilks kindly sent me a damping grease kit with (very small) samples of several grades of the type he recommended from my description of the problem. I tried each grade and the upshot was that the thickest, Nyogel Flourocarbon gel 868VH, was the most effective and I bought a tube (10gms) which was more than enough to pack all the surfaces. Its expensive but worth it. Before applying the grease, I cleaned the surface with isopropyl alcohol. Disassembly and re-assembly is easy. You need allen keys.

The website has all the details: http://www.newgateonline.com/application/damping-grease.html and an on-line shop.

It's now smooth as silk.

I emphasise I have no links with this company. I merely feel its worth explaining a solution to a problem and endorsing good and technically sound customer service.

Comments and queries welcomed.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back