• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Strap Pre-FieldPro - opinions (1 Viewer)

Vespobuteo

Just mounted the original strap on my bins.
Have been a bit reluctant to do this, since I thought my old simple zeiss strap worked well.
My first impression is:

+ wide slightly flexible neoprene
+ easy adjustable length of strap "in action"

- Swaro strap is 30g heavier than the zeiss strap
- long flapping strap ends due to the adjustability

Do you like the swaro strap? do you use it?
Any thoughts on the flapping straps ends?

Last edited:
Do you like the swaro strap? do you use it?
Any thoughts on the flapping straps ends?

I'm opposed to any type of proprietary strap system on binoculars. I have my favorite binocular strap (Nikon camera strap AN-4B) which works well for me, and I use it on just about every binocular that I take into the field. It's comfortable, strong, inexpensive, and small and flexible enough to wrap around the binoculars when they go in a case.

I have the highest regard for Swarovski binoculars - I own and use several of them; but I don't plan to buy any of the Field Pro models until they come to their senses and go back to using industry-standard rectangular strap lugs.

My apologies if this seems like a rant, but I was quite surprised and disappointed when Swarovski decided to reduce my strap options to just one.

I'm opposed to any type of proprietary strap system on binoculars.......

Same here. Just picked up last year's model of the SV 10x30's after looking at the new strap set up.

I have two of the new SV Field Pro binoculars. LOVE the new system. SO easy to change from harness to strap. It's literally a breeze. To adjust the strap length...easy peasy. Strap much less likely to get twisted.d Every other non Field Pro strap seems archaic to me.

Same here. Just picked up last year's model of the SV 10x30's after looking at the new strap set up.

Same here, ... plus I refuse to provide free advertising. Op/Tech straps are the ones for me too.

Ed

I really like the new Field Pro strap and prefer it to the older version. Really fast to disengage the strap if you want. Doesn't twist and is quick and easy to adjust the length. Brilliant system.

Many people don't realise that with the Field Pro you can easily use the accessory snap in traditional style lugs if you have a flat strap you want to use.

Same here, ... plus I refuse to provide free advertising. Op/Tech straps are the ones for me too.

Ed

That's exactly what you're doing for Op/Tech. ;)

Confusingly there appear to be four versions of this strap? LCS and LCSP and also CCS and CCSP - the P in both cases relates to use for Field Pro models and the others are for conventional lugs and AFAIK will fit virtually any binoculars. What the difference is between the "Lift" and "Comfort" strap is I have no idea.

I recently bought one of the non Field Pro straps for my old ELs and I like it - the easy adjustment is great when wearing a big heavy coat or conversely just a tee shirt. The flapping ends of the straps can be a bit annoying - the little retainers tend to ride up and I'm looking for a way to solve that. The old Swaro strap is still OK after 16 years of daily use - so the new one's got a hard act to follow.

Last edited:
I really like the new Field Pro strap and prefer it to the older version. Really fast to disengage the strap if you want. Doesn't twist and is quick and easy to adjust the length. Brilliant system.

Many people don't realise that with the Field Pro you can easily use the accessory snap in traditional style lugs if you have a flat strap you want to use.

That's exactly what you're doing for Op/Tech. ;)

If you can find the label, you're right. :smoke:

Confusingly there appear to be four versions of this strap? LCS and LCSP and also CCS and CCSP - the P in both cases relates to use for Field Pro models and the others are for conventional lugs and AFAIK will fit virtually any binoculars. What the difference is between the "Lift" and "Comfort" strap is I have no idea.

I recently bought one of the non Field Pro straps for my old ELs and I like it - the easy adjustment is great when wearing a big heavy coat or conversely just a tee shirt. The flapping ends of the straps can be a bit annoying - the little retainers tend to ride up and I'm looking for a way to solve that. The old Swaro strap is still OK after 16 years of daily use - so the new one's got a hard act to follow.

Hi Torchepot, here's a quick description of the straps you mentioned:

• Lift carrying strap pro = normal width, the one we deliver with the EL binoculars, including the field pro bayonet mounting system
  • Comfort carrying strap pro = extra wide for more comfort, especially useful for heavier binoculars. delivered with the EL Range
  • Lift Carrying Strap (non-pro) = normal width adjustable flat strap, as was delivered with the EL up until the field pro ELs came out. still delivered with the SLC binoculars. As you rightly said, this (and any other "normal" flat strap from your favourite birding store, bird club or 3rd party producer) will fit on the field pro ELs when used with the little converter lugs.
  • Comfort carrying strap (non-pro) = extra wide adjustable strap, as delivered with the SLC56, and previously with the EL Range

Hope this helps,
Dale

Thanks Dale

I guess that explains the little battery pockets on the comfort straps - spares for the range series.

Cheers

Phil

I still prefer the strap that came with the original EL, where the strap is fixed by the sliding buckle. Never saw the advantage of the revised model introduced with the SV, so still use the old version, but not an option with the field pro models...

As you rightly said, this (and any other "normal" flat strap from your favourite birding store, bird club or 3rd party producer) will fit on the field pro ELs when used with the little converter lugs.

Dale,
Thanks for the explanation about the converter lugs; I should have realized that Swarovski would be clever enough to provide a means of attaching flat straps to the Field Pro models. Recently I opened the package containing a Swarovski flotation strap that I had purchased some time ago, and when I looked at the little packet that was included and saw the flat-strap converter lugs I said "Aha!" and understood. Thanks again.
Best regards,
John

I have never liked to advertise the brand of optics i use: asking for trouble.

I have recently acquired a harness and, to make the bins accessible to this and straps, I picked up on someone's suggestion to use zip ties that slip through the binocular lugs. I bought these cheaply on the bay (3.5mm rated at 18kg) and, similarly, size 50 carabiners with screw locking threads, but I should have bought the 40s.

I can now have my bins strapless beside my chair to watch my garden birdies.

I have never liked to advertise the brand of optics i use: asking for trouble.

I have recently acquired a harness and, to make the bins accessible to this and straps, I picked up on someone's suggestion to use zip ties that slip through the binocular lugs. I bought these cheaply on the bay (3.5mm rated at 18kg) and, similarly, size 50 carabiners with screw locking threads, but I should have bought the 40s.

I can now have my bins strapless beside my chair to watch my garden birdies.

Here is how I do it. The strap with ring used to come standard with
all EL's, better than a plastic tie.
I bought some black plastic snap swivels, to quickly attach either
a harness or a regular strap.

Works well.

Jerry

Attachments

• DSC_0210.jpg
    DSC_0210.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 560
I have used the "Lift Carrying Strap (non-pro)" for a while now and I like it,
the strap-adjustment is nice to have, the long loose ends is mostly not intrusive in any way, and actually less disturbing than a conventional strap.

Same here, got some new-old-stocl 8.5x42 SV EL from Eagle Optics. I can't say I like the strap. I replace dthe Leica strap on my 8x32 Ultravid HD with a Domke Gripper, I may do the same with the Swarovskis. The best strap design I've seen is the one on my old Leica 10x50 Ultravids, it adjusts easily while leaving no loose ends. With most straps, you can use this technique to tuck in the loose ends, but it won't work with the Swarovski strap:
http://www.wired.com/2014/02/proper-camera-strap-technique/

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back