• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"vignetting"? (1 Viewer)

Hi,

Is vignetting with a T2 adapter mounted on a DSLR inevitable? |:S|

(The electronics of my 12 year old Konica Minolta refuse service.
After fixation of a T2 adapter on the camera, I get the message; "No Lense. And the entire lighting system is switched off)

If so, I'm stuck with a new camera. And then I can choose from two / three systems;
A: Compact camera.
B: System Camera.
Or C: If vignetting resolve on a modern DSLR, and the lighting system can continue to operate.
Does anyone have an answer / opinion?

With regards, Martin

Martin are you sure your using the right word,vignetting is a darkening of the image corners,you seem to be asking about cameras working with a T2 mount.
Unless your talking about digiscoping in which case i know even less

The T mount is a standard dating back to 1957 I believe, in those days it provided a convenient way of connecting a standardised lens to a variety of different manufacturers cameras by means of a suitable adaptor. As the lenses and the cameras had none of the complications of modern day equipment it provided a way of keeping costs down.
It could clearly be used to connect anything with a T mount to a camera. T2 is merely a proprietary name for a T mount and does not change its functionality.

As it provides no electrical contacts (or mechanical ones in most cases) your camera will not see anything electrical confirming the attachment of a lens and behave as you have indicated.

Many cameras of that era did have a menu entry or other method that would allow the use of simple extension tubes and older mechanical lenses and since Minolta was a major manufacturer I would have expected that facility to exist.

So summing up - preferably read your handbook, if you still have one, or look on the camera set up menus to see if there is a setting for manual lenses, trying anything that may be related.

To qoute a seller of Minolta T2 mounts (Heritage Cameras) http://www.heritagecameras.co.uk/t2-mount-t-mount-for-minolta-af-dynax-maxxum-35mm-konica-minolta-sony-alpha-digital-slrs-dslt-3130-p.asp

'This mount fits most Minolta AF 35mm, Konica Minolta 35mm, 5D and 7D digital plus many Sony Alpha digital SLR cameras. Most film cameras work with stopped down metering in manual and aperture priority auto exposure modes, but models with program modes only are not suitable for manual lenses or accessories. The Sony Alpha A33, A35, A37, A55, A57, A65, A77, A100, A560, A580 and A700 (plus the A850 and A900 with firmware 2.0 or higher) work with stopped down metering in aperture priority auto or metered manual exposure modes. Other Alpha DSLR cameras (the A200 to A550) work in metered manual mode only. Most of these cameras require setting up for manual lens operation, either by changing an option in the menu system (digital) or pressing a combination of buttons while turning on (film).'

As it notes there are some auto only cameras that cannot be set up correctly.

Vignetting, as Mike indicates did not happen if a T2 mount was used with a T2 lens. Using T2 mount with other devices had the potential for vignetting on some occasions, this was generally not the fault of the T2 mount.

Following writing the above, I see that it may be irrelevant as you have also posted under digiscoping, I will leave it to avid digiscopers to comment further, but camera settings will usually not affect a vignetted image.

Last edited:
:t:First of my excuses for posting on the wrong sub-forum. English is not my native language and I am new on this international forum.
Secondly, I am a newbie about digiscoping.

Thank you for the very comprehensive reply. It has really helped me to understand it better. Better ask, then trial and error, without succes. Is it not?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back