• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (3 Viewers)

That LEO has really caught my eye- I absolutely love that.

How often do you see a painting of an LEO with a nice splodge of blue in, I am wondering. About 35 years ago in my case- an ancient Charles Whymper oil featuring a couple strolling hand in hand down loverrrrs lane being observed by an LEO in an oak. Ladee in a blue dress if my memory serves me right...

Last edited:
whatever you do, don't touch this now - it's going straight in my file of inspirational works - whatever it was you slapped onto this, there's a nuthatch on my table that needs a similar treatment!

NIce one Tim, leos are virtually invisible birds and that's how you've painted it. Love the happy, carefree use of colour too. Everyone's getting 'slap-happy' again at the moment, while I'm still poncing about with the 00's.

Mike

In between struggling with the seabirds I had an itch to scratch and got out the 3/4" brush and acrylics. It looks more interesting in the flesh, but this gives some idea.

Attachments

• oik.jpg
    oik.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 84
Thanks for the kind words of encouragement guys.
I had a bit of paint left on the palette from the oystercatcher quickie and started sketching an idea straight from my recent sketchbook. When I saw this bird about 10 days ago (directly oposite my house) the light was diminishing fast and the bird seemed to take on an ethereal quality. It settled down to roost and I settled down to sketch - quickly! (it was b100dy freezing).
The original sketches were posted here: http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=167880&d=1226307949

Attachments

• waxwing8.jpg
    waxwing8.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Tim
Just checking out your last 3 pics.... all brilliant but the LEO is superb! I initially looked and thought what was it all about, then I registered those simple brush strokes and the owl leapt off the page. To think that the waxwing was just something to do with a bit of paint left on the palette ... I wish I could do that with left-over paint!

Wow. you really are on a roll. Love the colours in this one, The bird melts into the background as a roosting bird would want to do in the late autumn afternoon,
Steve

Loving this streak of paintings Tim, they all have a simplicity and directness that I've been searching for for a long time and have never been able to achieve. Roll on maestro!

Mike

I've got a few paintings on the go at the mo if you want to finish them and let me sign them! You're achieving exactly what I want right now and these last three are among, if not, the best work I've had the pleasure of seeing on your thread.

the owl painting is astounding tim, possibly one of the best paintings I have seen... I would kill to be able to paint like that... you really should enter it for the wildlife mag comp.... that has been spoken about on here... amazing... Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back