• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hampshire (1 Viewer)

pe'rigin

It’s about time Hampshire had another mention in this Forum, especially Farlington Marsh.

When you consider that a couple of weeks ago we had the full contingent of Grebes to view in one location.

We must have one of the highest densities of wintering Peregrines in England, with the added bonus of Merlin, Short-eared Owl and Marsh Harrier. Not to mention Bearded Tits, Waterail, Avocets, Cetti’s and the odd Diver.

Duck, geese, gulls and waders abound, with the occasional rarity that always turn-up.

Granted, it’s not the most salubrious of locations with the motorway alongside.

It could do with at least one hide and or a viewing platform.

But, you never go away from the place without seeing something good.

Farlington is great in the autumn. Last September I had Curlew Sands, Spotshank, Greenshanks, Common Sandpiper, Godwits, Knots and all the usual things on the lake in huge numbers. This winter it hasn't turned up much but has up to 25 Avocets, several Jack Snipes & Hampshire's third Surf Scoter (viewable distantly from the reserve but best viewed from Portsea Island.) The spectacle of several thousand Brent Geese plus all the waders (including up to 15,000 Dunlin) always makes it worth a visit though. Hopefully we can get a Hampshire thread up and running.

Last edited:
There's a thread going for the North of the county and the borders with Berkshire and Surrey:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=802409#post802409
It just seems that the North of Hampshire isn't all that well covered, so I started that one.
If you didn't know about it, the HOS webpage for news from Hampshire is:
www.hos.org.uk/news.htm
Although generally it deals with the South of the county as more interesting stuff stays down that way.
Although the thread's titled 'Hants, Berks and Surrey borders', it still includes some reports on Farlington from Our Man In The South, Mr Moss.
Cheers,

Tony

Your "man in the south" was going to say the same thing! I think we may as well put any reports in the 'Hants Berks and Surrey borders' thread.

I also started a thread that I was meant to update regularly with what I was seeing in Farlington, but I wasn't visiting often enough. If more people can mention Farlington, that would be great.

Jason

When you think that we have not only Farlington, but within 15 minutes drive nearby, the Oysterbeds, Black Point, the Ketch, Thorney Island and Pilsey, Nore's Barn, Staunton Forest, Prinsted Harbour and marsh and the other harbour inlets, we don't do too bad down here!

i do a daily sightings update for hampshire on my website if anyone is interested. after all farlington isn't the only place in hampshire ;) (don't mean to be rude, it's just we've only discussed farlington so far when there are many other great places in hampshire to go birding)

Had a great look at a perigrine yesterday, perched preening on a grassy island in the harbour a Farlington. Must have been about 100m away so I was able to see all the chest barring, yellow legs and cere. Never had such good views! After about 15 minutes (couldn't tear my eyes away!) I watched it take off and fly out towards South Hayling. I suspect it was a male, as it didn't strike me as being massive, although I've got next to no experience with sexing Perigrines.

Other birds I feel were of note were a nice female Reed Bunting (noted only because I got a really good look!), about 30+ Shovelers, which seemed more than usual, big flock of linnets, a few Bearded Tits, one Cettis Warbler (actually seen for a change), flock of Redwings flying over the car park, 3 pairs of Mute Swans, which I think are probably a new fixture, about 6 Tufted Ducks, (which I think is also a bit of a recent increase) and plenty of singing Skylarks. No sign of the Wimbrel yet though, or any Avocets that day. Still good as usual.

Jason

Jason,

I think we are very fortunate, as there are numerous Peregrines in the Harbour, one of their favoured haunts are the buildings and cranes on the Eastern Road. The old Mercedes garage building was a particular favoured place they used to pluck their prey. You could usually find the bits of Black-headed Gulls and Lapwings in the car park.

We may be lucky and get a successful breeding this year, that’ll worry the RSPB warden over his Gull / Tern colonies! (Sorry Chris, but it’s no contest).

Did you have a look for Merlin on North Binness?

pe'rigin

You aint wrong, we are lucky! The Peregrine was pirched on one of the islands off the south-west of the reserve, off the second 'point'. I didn't spot any Merlins that day, but did today.

Had another great days birding today, starting with a walk to the seafront to see the Purple Sandpipers. There were 9 birds altogether, feeding high on the sea wall, as the tide was in. One Rock Pipit was also present, flying around the castle.

Farlington produced one Med Gull, just entering into summer plumage, with a black head but a white face. Also saw 2 female Merlins, with one seen twice, hunting along the hedgrows behind the info centre and then along the hedges on the Hayling side of the reserve. the other was perched in the usual spot, on a fence post. There was also a Peregrine pirched on Long Island and a Kestrel. Came across a group of around 6 Reed Buntings in the bushes along the North East footpath, along with a very tame Robin that stopped at my feet. I offered it a piece of bread and it took it straight from my hand!!! Couldn't believe it! Certainly made my day! :bounce:
One Water Pipit was poking around on the sea wall, and around the washed up seaweed. This, plus an abundance of Meadow Pipits meant that I manage to see all 3 common pipits in one day, which was nice!
2 Cettis Warblers heard, lots of Great Crested Grebes, including one summer plumaged individual, 10+ Goldeneye, about 6 Herons and a couple of Little Egrets were also seen. Also there were about 6 Stonechats hanging around, including 2 males. There have usually only been about 3 present on the site this winter, with one male. Dunno where these new ones have come from!

Super day, even though there were apparently a few Slav Grebes off the point. Everyone I spoke to seemed to have seen them, but by the time I'd gotten there, there was no sign :storm:. Bugger!

Jason

pe'rigin said:
Jason,

I think we are very fortunate, as there are numerous Peregrines in the Harbour, one of their favoured haunts are the buildings and cranes on the Eastern Road. The old Mercedes garage building was a particular favoured place they used to pluck their prey. You could usually find the bits of Black-headed Gulls and Lapwings in the car park.

We may be lucky and get a successful breeding this year, that’ll worry the RSPB warden over his Gull / Tern colonies! (Sorry Chris, but it’s no contest).

Did you have a look for Merlin on North Binness?

Last edited:
Jason,

Sounds like you had a terrific day.

Was the Merlin on the usual corralled fenced area?

I have seen Slavonian’s under the bridge over the Eastern Road before, that’s where I saw the Red Necked Grebe a couple of weeks ago.

We may even get the Red Breasted Goose from Sinah to join the Brent’s on the Marsh.

The Water Pipit was a bonus. The last group I saw there was at the info centre.

As I said in the original post, there are lots of birds to see at Farlington. You can regularly achieve 70+ species in a day. On a very good day, into the 90s is possible.

But as mentioned it is crying out for some facilities. If Broadmarsh could be secured from development and the whole area funded and managed for wildlife then we have a premier site.

The Merlin was pirched on the fence enclosing the field with the 4 bridges. These bridges are also where I regularly see the birds pirched.

I think I'll have to brave crossing the motorway at some point, to get to the area over the other side of the bridge and see whats about there. I've been told that you can get there. I just haven't risked it yet!

I spent most of yesterday afternoon searching the Brent flocks for the Red Breasted Goose, as someone said that it hadn't been reported on Hayling (is that where it was originally?) Anyway, it definitely wasn't there then, but I'll certainly keep my eyes open.

You can get a good number of species in one visit. My record is 60, but I've seen 77 species all together so far, with star birds including Black Brant (ok, not a full sp, but who cares!), Black Necked Grebe, Dartford Warblers, Marsh Harrier, all the Pipits, Merlins and Peregrine. This is minus things like the Yellow Wagtails and any of the less common migrating waders, as I only began visiting the site early in October this year. I'm certainly looking foreward to a Spring and Summer in the area.

Jason

pe'rigin said:
Jason,

Sounds like you had a terrific day.

Was the Merlin on the usual corralled fenced area?

I have seen Slavonian’s under the bridge over the Eastern Road before, that’s where I saw the Red Necked Grebe a couple of weeks ago.

We may even get the Red Breasted Goose from Sinah to join the Brent’s on the Marsh.

The Water Pipit was a bonus. The last group I saw there was at the info centre.

As I said in the original post, there are lots of birds to see at Farlington. You can regularly achieve 70+ species in a day. On a very good day, into the 90s is possible.

But as mentioned it is crying out for some facilities. If Broadmarsh could be secured from development and the whole area funded and managed for wildlife then we have a premier site.

Bransbury Common (SU4141) is a site that I have visited several times in the last few weeks that you guys might like to try out. Dusk is the best time to visit. A Barn Owl or sometimes 2 usually come out just after 4PM, and can give excellent views and photographich opportunities. As it gets darker Buzzards, Pheasants & Tawny Owls start calling all around you, and then at about 6PM at the moment, up to 7 Short-eared Owls will appear, although it is almost too dark to see them.

Also for Jason and any other Farlington regulars. Nearby try out Sandy Point on Hayling Island. The Red-breasted Goose that has wintered around Dorset and Hampshire is now frequenting Chichester Harbour and can often be seen around there. Also a Long-tailed Duck was regular but hasn't been seen recently, and Black-throated & Great Northern Divers, up to 10 Slavonian Grebes, Black-necked Grebes and sometimes a Red-necked Grebe have been seen.

Thanks for the tips Teamsaint. Ive walked the Oysterbeds before, but didn't know about Sandy Point. Looks good for some seawatching, which is what I've been missing lately.

Wont be doing any birding in the next week though. Bit swamped with work.

Jason

The other places to go on Hayling is The Ketch, harbour and surrounding scrub, which is pretty good in the spring and Northney, where you can look across the channel onto the mudflats. Middle Marsh would be good if only there was better access.

Just a quick note at what's at the Oysterbeds at the moment.

A nice flock of very sexually active Med Gulls at close quarters on the Tern's island, with a nice Spotted Redshank in with the Redshanks, Turnstones, Dunlin, Ringed Plovers and Oystercatchers. Keeping a close eye on the waders and fields is a male Peregrine stationed at his usual advantage perch. Mergansers by the bank edge with Little Grebes. A female Goldeneye patrolling around, no sign of the Black Necked on this side. A female Merlin has had a go at the Dunlin on the RSPB island. Not bad for half a hour.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back