• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon close-up lens: advice needed (1 Viewer)

gmax

Sontium Dweller
Hello everybody,
does anybody out there use the genuine Canon close-up lens (500D - 77mm)?
I'd like to get some feedback on the results I may expect to achieve with this kit - I'm planning to use it on my EF 300mm f/4 for the odd macro shots I may get here and there (that's why I'm not going yet to buy a "real" macro lens)
Thank you very much,
Max

I'm told that the genuine article is very good, Max. So, apparently, are the best 3rd party ones. But I can promise you that the cheap ones are terrible.

I got a set of Hoya ones when I first got the 100-400 - Hoya make two or three different ones and these must have been the cheapest model, because they are cra ... er bad word. Not that they were actually cheap, just that my local camera shop ripped me off.

I still have them, used once, if anyone is interested. Will take any reasonable offer. (AU only.)

Buy the Canon one, or research carefully. Or else buy a macro lens: most macro lenses, Canon or 3rd party, are truly excellent.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back