• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help with identification (1 Viewer)

some more info please

Hi all thanks for the reply, but when I googled the name Grey-crested tit the images that I am getting is little different from the pic I have uploaded. The pic I have posted is it young one? please help me on this...Thank You.

Hi all thanks for the reply, but when I googled the name Grey-crested tit the images that I am getting is little different from the pic I have uploaded. The pic I have posted is it young one? please help me on this...Thank You.

When I did the same I came up with several birds of the same name.

Mangoverde came up with about the best I could see.

Including the location/area taken will help those with more knowledge than me.

The illustration in the book is a little different too. Where did you see it?
H

Where did you see it?

I'm not familiar with birds from other areas that well, but it looks an awful lot like the Tufted Titmice that we have here...

Here is a photo of a USA Tufted Titmouse and the "Unknown" bird above.

The Tufted Titmouse seems to have the rusty/orange coloration more on the posterior flanks, the unknown bird has that coloration more on the belly (and even a little on the throat).

Attachments

• Tufted-Titmouse.jpg
    Tufted-Titmouse.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 90
  • unkn.jpg
    unkn.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 101
Maybe he's having us on & he did take it in the States!
The more I look at it (& other images of Grey-crested tit) the more I don't think it is one.
But he's put it in Opus as taken in India....
Looks too long in the tail & large in the bill, jizz wrong.

Last edited:
Maybe he's having us on & he did take it in the States!

Hi All,

You may be right Halftwo, though the OP never said were the image was from. Color me confused!

Having actually taken the time to look up Grey-crested Tit, I can see that the mystery bird is a really good fit for a juvenile Tufted Titmouse. Even at this young age, it has the typical thick, slightly swollen bill of a Baeolophus titmouse, rather than the thinner bill of Grey-crested.

More Grey-crested Tits from OBC.

I guess we'll find out the next time Ravi logs on. [this post written before Halftwo elaborated on his post. Not sure what to make of it all].

Chris

Yes, Chris, I think that image clinches it.
Note relative tail length & bill size.
If it's not Tufted titmouse then I'm retiring!
Wonder what's going on?
H

having seen Parus dichrous in nepal- longtime ago, but nevertheless,

I think this bird here has a thicker looking bill, the orange colour looks different from dichrous flanks, and there is black on the frons reaching the base of the bill.

so I´d happily go with the north american species...

It just strikes me as having too much orange for tufted titmouse. I've never seen one with the orange coming that far up the breast.

Not that I have any other possibilities for it as I don't know Indian birds at all, but it just looks wrong for a tufted t.

It just strikes me as having too much orange for tufted titmouse. I've never seen one with the orange coming that far up the breast.

Not that I have any other possibilities for it as I don't know Indian birds at all, but it just looks wrong for a tufted t.

Hi Jeff,

Can it be individual variation? I don't get to see many really young Tufted Titmice, but this fledgling is pretty buffy below:
http://k43.pbase.com/u26/thewitt/upload/43818475.TuftedTitmousebaby20050516d3056crop800.jpg

Many other images seemed to show a great deal of variation in amount of flank coloration, though most of the juveniles I could find were not terribly bright. Hmm? :h?: Ravi, are you out there? :hi:

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back