• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flights to Australia - choice of airline (1 Viewer)

MSA

I may be relaxed but I'm not drunk....
Does anyone have any opinions/comparative experience of the main airlines please? The cheapest seems to be Cathay Pacific, then Emirates, then Qantas - however, there's not a huge amount in it, and if one or the other gives more space, better service etc etc that would sway me more than the price.

Does anyone have any opinions/comparative experience of the main airlines please? The cheapest seems to be Cathay Pacific, then Emirates, then Qantas - however, there's not a huge amount in it, and if one or the other gives more space, better service etc etc that would sway me more than the price.

Singapore airlines are good

China Airlines are probably the cheapest. I've flown Qantas, Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines and Malaysian from the UK to Aus and all were fine.

Qantas don't seem to be as cheap as they used to be, and in my opinion, their service has been suffereing of late. Last time I flew to america I flew with V Australia (owned by qantas, it's meant to be their budget airline but I found the service and everything better). I've flown singapore once before, about 6 years ago. I don't remember much about it, but the service seemed pretty good.

I always used the australian version of this site http://www.expedia.co.uk/ to book my last three trips to the U.S, they seem to have really competitive prices, I found it was cheaper than booking through an airline, although you tend to have to select a whole set of flights, and not individual flights so it's not quite as flexible, but it may help. :)

Emirates were good too. Plenty of in-chair media, decent food, Laughing Doves (I think) at Dubai Airport, etc.

I'm flying with Emirates on my next trip to Australia. Previously, I have flown there with Qantas and Singapore. I preferred the Singapore Airlines flights - really efficient check-in at Manchester and more leg room on the plane, so more comfortable. Still, I didn't get much sleep. I'll have to take something really boring to read next time!

Allen

Singapore Airlines are excellent and Emirates good too, both have plenty of room and the entertainment systems on Emirates is excellent. Avoid Qantas if you have a choice.

They're all good but as I'm based in Hong Kong I fly Cathy the most. It keeps a consistantly high standard.

I don't have a great deal of experience but have used KLM and BA to travel to India a number of times. We're just back a couple of weeks ago having went with Etihad this time and found it to be excellent.
cheers
Gordon

Thanks to everyone for your responses! Singapore seem to be the most highly-rec, but at £982 each against £687 with Cathay Pacific, CP wins, I feel. I shall let you know my opinion when I write up my trip report - now for the painful bit, paying for the tickets......followed by the best bits, planning, and actually getting there!

I flew with Cathy Pacific and found it very good. I went via Hong Kong which did mean a lay over at the airport of 6 hours however this gave me the chance to stretch the legs and get a lay down. On top of that I got bumped up to Business Class for the Hong Kong to Cairn's leg of the journey which was very nice.

Thanks to everyone for your responses! Singapore seem to be the most highly-rec, but at £982 each against £687 with Cathay Pacific, CP wins, I feel. I shall let you know my opinion when I write up my trip report - now for the painful bit, paying for the tickets......followed by the best bits, planning, and actually getting there!

Cathay would get my second vote, another great airline.

You have to consider where their halfway stop is and would it be of any use to you.

Cathay uses Hong Kong and IMO if you are stuck in the airport waiting for your connection it is an awful expereince. Hong Kong airport is a very soul less place. Okay for a stopover for a day or so and do some birding.

Japanese airlines has not been mentioned and their stop over is Tokyo has to worth a thought to be there. If I recall correctly your one night over is included in cost.

Singapore airlines uses as you may think think Singapore IMO the best airport in the world and a great place to do a day's Asian birding, Pm K C Tsang.

Emirates use dubai, enough said.

Probably the best airline in the world!

Singapore are indeed very, very good - highly recommended for long haul.

One thing's for sure, though - Asian airlines do really show up US-based airlines!

Best in the world? That's a tough call.... gotta say Virgin Atlantic takes some beating!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back