• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (20 Viewers)

And, in memoriam the sad demise of the sea-watching P. aristotelis from Cley:

“The three had a Shag in the Cley car park shelter;
At such a close range, must’ve looked quite a belter.
It had quite a job to see over the shingle,
Notwithstanding the season, no bells did it jingle;
And, in its poor state, it could not helter-skelter.”

Best recited in the voice of the late Frankie Howerd?
MJB:king:
PS Merry Christmas to all, especially to all those BF habitués with whom I may have crossed swords, inadvertently or otherwise...:eek!:

No doubt the Cley shelter has been a popular venue for shags of multiple descriptions over the years. Fortunately none of these have made it to utube!

Chiffchaff Bawburgh

Evening everyone,

Whilst at Bawburgh (Colney) pits this afternoon I came across a very grey & white Chiffchaff amongst a Tit flock which also held two collybita.

The flock was working the edge of a section of small trees and bushes on the opposite side of some flooded ground, which backs on to Three Score rd. At first two very 'standard' Chiffchaff moved through with the appearance I would associate with nominate race collybita. Then a third bird moved into my field of view, but this time very contrasting in tone.

The bird was a cold grey-brown above, seemingly on a par or even more so than the documentation I have seen of tristis. The underparts were an off white, lacking any warmth, deepening the contrast further with the two other bird which were still in the same field of view.The bird then moved through an opening an out of sight.

The bird was not heard to call.

I have no experience with these 'eastern birds' and I say that tentatively. This is the first time I have seen a bird which I believed not to be of the nominate race, collybita.

I hope someone could shine some further light on the matter and help to broaden my understanding of the occurrence of birds showing this type of plumage in Norfolk.

I hope everyone is enjoying the festive season and is getting set for another wonderful years birding in our wonderful county.

Kindest regards, Kieran

Kieran. I understand a Mr Stoddard has an interest in Eastern Chiffs. He might be able to help. Also recall a relatively recent article in BB on the subject. Hope your bird hangs around. Regards.

Nice day out at Holme and Titchwell today. Highlights included a showy Waxwing on the NOA reserve and a few bits and pieces at Titchwell, including a male and ringtail Hen Harrier into roost, a Bittern and 9 Bramblings around the feeders by the visitor centre. Quite a few Lapwings moving, with 300 west at Holme and 180 in off the sea at Titchwell, lots of Snipe too, with 15 at Holme and 9 at Titchwell.

Record shot of premature seasonal visitor at Gramboro’

From Sunday, the photo at Gramboro’ (a slow, painful trek I had of it) is of something with its claus in a conifer- at this time of year, more regularly the habitat of angels, baubles, tinsel & prezzies.

And, so, to the pièce de much résistance- what you’ve all been awaiting with trepidation.

I’m aware of how unseemly it would be to let this most special of days pass without a literary offering of distinction. Regrettably, all I can manage is yet another lamentable pome:

“I wish a Magnificent, Christmas word:
Norfolk members who’d twitch the next Frigatebird;
(After Easter, we look to Ascension-
Far too early for most sorts of gentian)
Shirley Great be, as Lesser, hope too absurd (?).”

A Very Merry Christmas To All My Victims !

Attachments

• 001pse.jpg
    001pse.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 227
A Very Merry Christmas To All My Victims !

Merry Christmas

I must be one of John's victims.
I pressed the button and opened the door to leave Cley visitor centre.
Standing there was John who had a Santa identical to the one in the photograph above in his pocket!

Little Santa said ho ho ho or something or other.

We parted ways and John hobbled up the centre steps.

The real Santa had come early to Cley with the first small type Canada goose for the square.

Eider down . .

. . on sea off Sheringham.

Even when agonisingly confined within my four walls, I’m able to bird.

Here, an eclipse drake Eider meanders east, this morning- occasionally diving, to avoid the seagulls' predations.

Attachments

• 008pse.jpg
    008pse.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 202
After a highly over indulgent Christmas day it was nice to stretch the legs for an hour or so today as I virtually waded around the flooded Thorpe St Andrews marshes.

Not much to see generally but I did chance upon this glistening fungi on a fallen tree. Looks like egg yoke! No idea what it is, an ID would be most welcome for my records.

Best Regards

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_1041.JPG
    IMG_1041.JPG
    472.5 KB · Views: 96
A nice flock of Waxwings at the A11/A134 roundabout in Thetford on the way home from my folks this morning. We estimated 20+ birds but 36 counted later on so our guesswork may have been a little off (of course, new birds may have joined). No sign of the American Wigeon mid afternoon - hopefully I will finally connect with this bird soon!!!

Chris

A nice flock of Waxwings at the A11/A134 roundabout in Thetford on the way home from my folks this morning. We estimated 20+ birds but 36 counted later on so our guesswork may have been a little off (of course, new birds may have joined). No sign of the American Wigeon mid afternoon - hopefully I will finally connect with this bird soon!!!

Chris

What's the best place to look for the American Wigeon from? On Birdguides it says that the track is private, but can it be seen from the road?

After a highly over indulgent Christmas day it was nice to stretch the legs for an hour or so today as I virtually waded around the flooded Thorpe St Andrews marshes.

Not much to see generally but I did chance upon this glistening fungi on a fallen tree. Looks like egg yoke! No idea what it is, an ID would be most welcome for my records.

Best Regards

Paul

Hi Paul.

I'm presuming that underneath it had gills. On this proviso it is Velvet Shank (Flammulina velutipes). It was one of the few gilled fungi out at Trowse Woods this weekend.

Regards,

James

The photo in #18811 has minimal similarity to the illustration in the field guide. Only after GoogleImaging do some resemblances appear.

How are mere mortals supposed to ID these things, James ? Especially from a guide with over 600 pages.

Perhaps a Norfolk Fungi thread- or, ‘fibril’- should be started (?).

The photo in #18811 has minimal similarity to the illustration in the field guide. Only after GoogleImaging do some resemblances appear.

How are mere mortals supposed to ID these things, James ? Especially from a guide with over 600 pages.

Perhaps a Norfolk Fungi thread- or, ‘fibril’- should be started (?).

Tony Leech (Norfolk Fungus Recorder) says "Fungi can be very hard to identify: blame the fungus, not yourself!" I have had an interest for many years, and I am still loath to identify many. A lot require a suite of characteristics and/or microscopic examination too.

What is possible is to acquaint yourself with families and around 200 of the most frequently occurring and distinctive species.

With regards to Paul's photo, it would be very difficult to ID that from a book, because the photo doesn't show a stem or the underneath, so you wouldn't know it was a 'mushroom' type. So rule #1 for photographing fungi is to try and photograph underneath as well as the cap.

Other important things to note are substrate (alive wood, dead wood, soil, dung, pine cones etc), trees nearby (many species are associated with specific trees, but just deciduous/coniferous will help), smell, and if your specimen is growing singularly, spread out or many from one base ("trooping").

There is no one definitive book, a combination are best. The Roger Philips guide is useful because it shows a range of different specimens of each fungus, which is useful because most books don't show the range of variation.

Attachments

• 061pse.jpg
    061pse.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
What's the best place to look for the American Wigeon from? On Birdguides it says that the track is private, but can it be seen from the road?

I didn't manage to see the bird last winter and no luck so far this winter, so I'm probably not the best person to ask! However, if the bird is on the flood, I am reliably informed it shows from the road at the start of the track looking to the left (the track is private so do not walk along it). There is a small flooded area on the near side of the river where the river bends through 90 degrees away from the road and this is apparently it's favoured place. However, it seems to spend the majority of it's time out of view somewhere on private land (presumably!)

Good luck if you go!

Just seen via twitter that Birdwatch magazine have done an artical on a Oriental Turtle Dove last year at Stubbs Mill! Anyone know any further details on the bird or artical?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back