• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Here's My Review of the Much Anticipated and Continually Delayed HT (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the review Traubador. How would you compare the colour rendition of the HT's compared to Swarovisions you tested ?

Hi ticl

There was too long a gap in time between trying the HTs and the Swaros to make a definitive comment on the colours. I will say though that if my memory serves me well I would say that they were similar in that I don't recall the Swaros having the extra warmth of an Ultravid HD. But I am struggling to make a helpful observation; sorry!

Lee

It is impossible to do comparisons easily at the Birdfair because each manufacturer has their own stand. I tried the 10x42 HT and was pleased with the ergonomics and the IPD (I have a small IPD - indicator of criminogenic tendancies).
I did notice the pin cusion effect because I was looking for it, but would I notice this in the field and how important is it? I still use my Classic 7x42s with no ill effect.
Asthetically the best Zeiss bins since the Classic 10x40.
I cannot comment on brightness because it was a very sunny day (amazingly) other than it seemed at least as good as the opposition. I think it will be a worthy challenger, I hope so because I do have some brand loyalty towards Zeiss. Not least because you can have your Zeiss bins checked over at the Bird Fair for free.
A personal thank you to Gary at Zeiss.
How can I convince my wife I need a pair?

Hi xbted

Yes my analogy falls down when it comes to price: HTs are indeed more Fender Custom Shop prices than American Standards, but the brightness and sharpness comparison holds up I think.

Lee

Oh, it's not that your analogy is falling down, it's that I love, love, love Tom Anderson guitars. Those HTs look awesome!

It is impossible to do comparisons easily at the Birdfair because each manufacturer has their own stand. I tried the 10x42 HT and was pleased with the ergonomics and the IPD (I have a small IPD - indicator of criminogenic tendancies).
I did notice the pin cusion effect because I was looking for it, but would I notice this in the field and how important is it? I still use my Classic 7x42s with no ill effect.
Asthetically the best Zeiss bins since the Classic 10x40.
I cannot comment on brightness because it was a very sunny day (amazingly) other than it seemed at least as good as the opposition. I think it will be a worthy challenger, I hope so because I do have some brand loyalty towards Zeiss. Not least because you can have your Zeiss bins checked over at the Bird Fair for free.
A personal thank you to Gary at Zeiss.
How can I convince my wife I need a pair?

Well here are some tried and tested strategies to persuade your good lady you need new bins:

Give way on that holiday destination she has always pestered you about, but only if you can indulge in the HTs.

Hint strongly of an even more outrageously expensive purchase but then magnanimously back down, saying you are opting for the HTs because your first suggestion was just too expensive.

Sell something on e-bay that you really love. A small child or grandparent would do the trick.

Bet her a pair of HTs that you can lay off the beer for a month. She will never believe you can do it and then its down to you and how badly you yearn for the HTs.​

Of course the above are not mutually exclusive so you could try a couple of them in parallel.

Good luck.

Lee

Well here are some tried and tested strategies to persuade your good lady you need new bins:

Give way on that holiday destination she has always pestered you about, but only if you can indulge in the HTs.

Hint strongly of an even more outrageously expensive purchase but then magnanimously back down, saying you are opting for the HTs because your first suggestion was just too expensive.

Sell something on e-bay that you really love. A small child or grandparent would do the trick.

Bet her a pair of HTs that you can lay off the beer for a month. She will never believe you can do it and then its down to you and how badly you yearn for the HTs.​

Of course the above are not mutually exclusive so you could try a couple of them in parallel.

Good luck.

Lee

Thanks for the useful advice Lee

Troubador, how do you rate HT vs SV overall. I understand that they are two different glasses. Each of them has its own pros and cons. Would you recommend HT vs SV?

Troubador, how do you rate HT vs SV overall. I understand that they are two different glasses. Each of them has its own pros and cons. Would you recommend HT vs SV?

Hi Birder

Wish I could answer your question but I haven't enough experience of either HT (yet) or SV to be able to compare. It was so busy at the Bird Fair that settling down to do thoughful viewing was impossible.

I am hoping to visit my favourite bins dealer (Focus Optics!) in early October and hopefully will have the opportunity for more contemplative assessment then.

However, I only compare bins according to how I personally use them so I don't go looking in the corners to find out how sharp the edges are and I don't sweep them side to side or up and down looking for Rolling Ball or Pincushion.

Finally, although I think Swaro ELs / Svs are an absolute classic of modern design (I mean styling here) and are excellent optically, I am somewhat biased against the focusser having had a bad experience with an EL in 2004 and having heard on here about continuing issues with the focusser.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

One non-optical comment: the HTs handled better than any bin I have ever had my hands on including Zeiss's own FLs (which I love) Swaros of all colours and UltraVids/Trinnies.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back