• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 7x40 B/GA EDF (1 Viewer)

Tautog23

Just acquired Zeiss Jena 7x40 B/GA binoculars - Essentially new. The manual in the box is "EDF 7 x 40." Binocs have the military specs: IR detector and reticle with artillery measurement system, armored covering, individual focus knobs, etc.

Eisfeld factory indicated "the binocular was made in 1990 or 1991, it was the time during the change from "Carl Zeiss Jena" to "DOCTER OPTIC"...the binoculars were made very carefully, they are in quality comparable to the DOCTER binoculars."

The binoculars have only been out of the box a few times since purchase and never used outside the house and I do find the clarity and quality quite good. They also seem VERY durable.

I just did some exploring on the web and learned that these could be significant binoculars to a collector, but I realize the web asking prices could be inflated and unrealistic ($1,100 to 1,800).

Anyone familiar with these binocs, "collectors" and potential value? I am trying to decide whether to just use them (easiest approach) for my non-birding applications vs. placing them with a collector who might find them significant. Thanks!

Last edited:
Just saw the 2011 thread "need comments on Zeiss EDF / Docter BGA 7x40 IF roof" - - very helpful informing my decision. Thanks to those who provided the details in that thread. I'm going to take my EDFs to my boat and start using them for my marine applications, which are primarily related to sighting landmarks and keeping track of what other fisherman are catching. Although my EDFs are so pristine that it would be nice for a collector to own them, it appears not to be worth my time to try to sell the EDFs and then replace them with bins of comparable quality, but with center focusing.

Just saw the 2011 thread "need comments on Zeiss EDF / Docter BGA 7x40 IF roof" - - very helpful informing my decision. Thanks to those who provided the details in that thread. I'm going to take my EDFs to my boat and start using them for my marine applications, which are primarily related to sighting landmarks and keeping track of what other fisherman are catching. Although my EDFs are so pristine that it would be nice for a collector to own them, it appears not to be worth my time to try to sell the EDFs and then replace them with bins of comparable quality, but with center focusing.

I'm not sure if this was mentioned on the other thread, but Holger Merlitz wrote a comparative review of these bins that provides some good information:

http://www.holgermerlitz.de/ior7x40.html

My only beef with the Jena Analytic version, which is supposed to be more color neutral than the yellow bias originals, is that they are not phase coated. For over $1,000, I expect them to be updated.

Star Farmer seems to be happy with them, and build wise, they are hard to beat (literally!). ;)

Brock

I have a pair of EDF. Few years ago, I was a military binoculars fan. I left it in my dry box for a long time...maybe forever;). It's for collection only, and I think I would never use it in field.
EDF is the yellowest bino I have ever seen. The EDF is a very fine device of course.

Attachments

• IMG_80951.jpg
    IMG_80951.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 622
....Star Farmer seems to be happy with them, and build wise, they are hard to beat (literally!). ;)

Brock

Indeed Brock, it's my most used pair of binoculars on the farm even though I have many other choices available.

The individual focus is actually very handy for my visitors. Most are not savvy users, so instead of fiddling with the diopter adjustments and focussing, my guests will just pick them up and point. The great depth of field, and the high contrast will provide a nice view of whatever critter that may be feeding on the meadow.

This is the only pair of premium binoculars that I let kids play with. If they drop it on the floor, no big deal. Now, if they drop it on their toes.....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back