• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 8x32 FL on their way back (1 Viewer)

mikefitz6

Please remember that all that follows is based on only one sample of each bino and what my eyes see. I suspect that our eyes have a greater effect on why we like a particular bino more than the differences between the binos themselves. Take my opinions with a grain of salt.

I was able to get a pair of demo Zeiss FL's for $1299. Most of my findings were very positvie. I was looking for something a little sharper to replace my 8x30 Swarovski CL's. The Zeiss almost did it.

The bad. I just could not get the diopter to work. The right barrel was never in focus no matter how many times I reset it. I am sure the diopter adjustment was pulled out all the way. I would alway focus the left barrel, pull out the diopter adjustment, and then focus the right barrel. It always looked good, but the minute I would refocus on an object one barrel was never in focus. I finally looked through the left barrel while adjusting the diopter and saw that it was changing the focus there. It seems that the diopter never quite fully disengaged from the overall focus. I have not had this issue with other Zeiss binos in the store or any of the binos I have at home.

The good. Aside from this glitch, everything else was great! The balance for me was better than the CL's. The CL's are a little front heavy compared to the FL's. The Zeiss also fit my hands better. The binos were sharper than the CL's (when I looked through only one barrel at a time!). I may have liked the color a bit better in the CL's. I thought the Zeiss was a cooler color/blue tint vs the warmer/red tint to the CL's. I do believe the Zeiss did a little better pulling in detail in the shade. The FOV was better in the Zeiss, but was not as big a factor as I would have thought based on specs. I thought the Zeiss was sharper further out in the FOV. Close in focus was much better in the Zeiss. In short, no surprises based on what I have read.

I may have been able to send them to Zeiss for an overhaul and I thought about it. In the end, I was just not sure what kind of abuse they may have been through and decided to send them back.

I guess the CL's will work for my all weather compact binos for now. Besides, I have the Nikon SE 8x32 when I want sharp binos.

Mike

This is the review I never wrote......I had the same thing happened to me with 2 - two different pairs from the same place.....I could not get a sharp focus no matter what. I returned them both.
Recently i got a pair from the eastern side and is perfect focus and cheaper to boot. The FL 8x32 is an awesome bino.

A real shame, I hope it won`t put you off entirely, the 32mm Victory is maybe the great all rounder, mine has very slick focus/diopter action.

Mikefitz6,

In short, I recognize the diopter problem, but for me it's enough to reset it now and then.
Your description of their colour balance is very accurate. They show better detail in the shadowed areas at the expense of slightly washed-out colours.

I have the Fury 6.5x32, the 10x32 HG (old version) and a 10x32 FL. The HG's colours are really boosted while the Fury seems very natural to me.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=233869

Today, I may have choosen the Conquest HD and definitely above the CL.
Very nice edge sharpness of the 8x32, better than my 10x32 FL (which has a wider AFOV, though).
Haven't seen the new Trinovid but if their eye relief is adequate, they'd be in the game as well.
If money weren't an issue, I'd take the EDG.

//L

Last edited:
I have never understood the, IMO, foolish and consistent insistence of the binocular industry in combining the diopter mechanism with the focus wheel! Especially on their best binoculars! It violates the Law Of K.I.S.S. At the very least, without any other problems, it is still harder to set the diopter than if it is on the right eyepiece.

Bob

Agreed. The only exception is the Leica system, which is really better than the classical system on one barrel.

Last edited:
I have never understood the, IMO, foolish and consistent insistence of the binocular industry in combining the diopter mechanism with the focus wheel! Especially on their best binoculars! It violates the Law Of K.I.S.S. At the very least, without any other problems, it is still harder to set the diopter than if it is on the right eyepiece.

Bob

The only advantage is that combining focus/diopter means that eye relief is not affected. If someone really needs to move the diopter far from zero, having the diopter on the right eyepiece could increase/decrease the eye relief maybe enough to cause problems. Never seen it myself, but I could see it happening.

These days I adjust diopters with both eyes open, moving it in small increments until the image snaps into focus without any uneveness or hesitation. You can really nail the adjustment that way, better I think than doing one eye at a time. It just feels more natural.

Mark

Please remember that all that follows is based on only one sample of each bino and what my eyes see. I suspect that our eyes have a greater effect on why we like a particular bino more than the differences between the binos themselves. Take my opinions with a grain of salt.

I was able to get a pair of demo Zeiss FL's for $1299. Most of my findings were very positvie. I was looking for something a little sharper to replace my 8x30 Swarovski CL's. The Zeiss almost did it.

The bad. I just could not get the diopter to work. The right barrel was never in focus no matter how many times I reset it. I am sure the diopter adjustment was pulled out all the way. I would alway focus the left barrel, pull out the diopter adjustment, and then focus the right barrel. It always looked good, but the minute I would refocus on an object one barrel was never in focus. I finally looked through the left barrel while adjusting the diopter and saw that it was changing the focus there. It seems that the diopter never quite fully disengaged from the overall focus. I have not had this issue with other Zeiss binos in the store or any of the binos I have at home.

The good. Aside from this glitch, everything else was great! The balance for me was better than the CL's. The CL's are a little front heavy compared to the FL's. The Zeiss also fit my hands better. The binos were sharper than the CL's (when I looked through only one barrel at a time!). I may have liked the color a bit better in the CL's. I thought the Zeiss was a cooler color/blue tint vs the warmer/red tint to the CL's. I do believe the Zeiss did a little better pulling in detail in the shade. The FOV was better in the Zeiss, but was not as big a factor as I would have thought based on specs. I thought the Zeiss was sharper further out in the FOV. Close in focus was much better in the Zeiss. In short, no surprises based on what I have read.

I may have been able to send them to Zeiss for an overhaul and I thought about it. In the end, I was just not sure what kind of abuse they may have been through and decided to send them back.

I guess the CL's will work for my all weather compact binos for now. Besides, I have the Nikon SE 8x32 when I want sharp binos.

Mike
The Zeiss 8x32 FL is my second favorite roof. The Nikon 8x32 EDG beats the FL because it has sharper edges, smoother focus, and it has better ergonomics and balance. I compared the two closely and I sold the FL after I decided the EDG was better. Look for a refurbished EDG for about $1K. But for about the same price an 8x32 FL is the next best option. The Nikon 8x32 SE is still a little sharper than both of them though.

MI

Mike

Mike,

It sounds like the same problem that Holger Merlitz described with his 8x32 FL, but yours got worse. Could be his will too over time.

Zeiss bins come with a transferable warranty, so you should be covered.

Let us know how you make out.

<B>

Don't have an EDG, but I was comparing the 8x32 FL to a Nikon 8x42 XL, late model. The FL has better resolution and brightness in daylight. At dusk, the FL seemed just as bright as the larger XL. Color is natural in the FL, but the slight red bias of the Nikon gives better contrast for many scenes.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back