• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flare Control Zeiss FL T* 8x42 v. Leica Ultravid 10x42 (non-HD) (1 Viewer)

St. Elmo

Can anyone shed some light on the following: I has some issues with my Leica Ultravid 10x42 (non-Hd), but of the things it did without flaw was control flare in situations where the view was near the sun; my Zeiss Victory FL T* 8x42 just don't perform well in this situation. Is it a known condition? Are my FL's defective? Were the Ultravids just that far ahead of the pack in this area? Thanks, Michael

My 8x32 isnt top drawer with flare control, but better than my old Conquest`s, I seem to remember others on here unhappy with flare on Fl`s.

This has been discussed, and not many exceptions were taking to your point of view. But this is a somewhat subjective thing. Different people hold the eyepieces differently next to their eyes and have different demands, different conditions, and naturally different impressions.

FWIW, I find that between my 8x42 FL and 10x50 BR, the Leica wins at scattered light control, but they are characteristically different, and neither is perfect by any means.

The Leica is at its worst with the sun about 30 degrees above the view. Then, a bright reflection appears at the bottom edge of the view. This can be disturbingly bright at times. But if the eyecups are lowered a bit, the eyes shifted upward a bit, and the gaze held at the center of the field, the view there remains remarkably clean.

In the Zeiss, the glare washes more uniformly over the entire field without the bright artifact seen in the Leica. It helps a little to lower the eyecups, but unlike the Leica, the center view is still significantly hazed over.

The two are so different that even if somebody else saw exactly what I saw, they might well prefer the Zeiss in this regard.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back