• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best way to carry tripod and scope (1 Viewer)

I have a love-hate relationship with my scope and tripod. I have an older very substantial, super stable but heavy Bogen 3221 tripod and older fluid head that I think I have now foundt a quick release mounting arrangement.

My question is this. I do not feel comfortable carrying this system with scope mounted in the field. So, I wind up with the scope in the backpack and I lug the tripod on my shoulder. I finally got a shoulder strap for the tripod and that helps a little.

What are some ideas about transporting scope and tripod when in the field and walking???

I have the Zeiss diascope and C/F tripod together with a Zeiss stay on case which comes complete with a padded shoulder strap.I can put this strap over my shoulder with the legs partly extended and it is very comfortable or with the legs fully contracted I can slip it over my head for longer journeys or over rougher terain.With both methods both hands are free for the bins and set up time is quick with the scope always attached and beacause the sling attachment completely supports the scope in two places the arrangement is very secure and can even be used with legs fully extended for very short journeys,regards ...Eddy

I have a CleySpy Mulepack which I bought from HE2 of BF, and I bless her every time I use it. There´s also the Scopak (I think that´s how it´s spelled), a similar set-up which comes in two sizes.

Another vote for the CleySpy. Got mine last year. Good pockets on it for other stuff aswell. Still feels good with camera bag round my neck down my side and binoculars around my neck at the front. Not had a look at the Scopac one but the CleySpy one is good quality.

Some of these newer rucksacks with small wheels attached also seem to be good idea to me. I purchased one recently from Boundary Mill at Gonerby Moor, Grantham for about £28, the recommended retail price was some £90. It has the Trespass branding and labelling on it and seems very well made.I think it will be ideal for holiday trips later this year.

My method of carrying a large scope (Nikon 78ED or 82ED) and tripod (Bogen 3221 in the past, now a carbon-fiber equivalent size) is with the scope mounted on the tripod (objective pointed toward ground in line with long axis of tripod, with or without case on the scope depending on how I much I am using it), right side up (i.e. legs pointed toward the ground, either collapsed or extended depending on how much I am using it), on a wide neoprene strap (attached at the top to the strap lug at the top of the tripod and at the other end to one of the tripod legs just below the top-most leg extension lever; the tripod legs are held together if necessary by a separate spring clip) over my left shoulder to bear the weight, and with a secondary webbing strap for stabilization (holds the other strap on my shoulder, keeps the top-heavy rig when legs aren't extended from slipping backward, keeps the scope and tripod firmly in place side-to-side) that is attached to the top of the tripod at the same place that the shoulder strap attaches, then loops around behind my body across my back from left to right, goes around my side below my right arm, crosses my chest right to left and clips to the shoulder strap just left of my sternum just below nipple height.

I've never seen anyone else use this method, but I've been using it for ~20 years without difficulties. I like it because it can be used with the scope and tripod either fully extended (and thus ready to use in a few seconds) or collapsed (for convenience when walking long distances between viewing locations), it feels nearly as secure as the backpack-type harnesses but unlike them is compatible with also wearing a lumbar style backpack (e.g. from Mountainsmith) or similar camera or day pack, and because it doesn't add any more weight and bulk than the tripod and scope themselves.

--AP

Last edited:
My method of carrying a large scope (Nikon 78ED or 82ED) and tripod (Bogen 3221 in the past, now a carbon-fiber equivalent size) is with the scope mounted on the tripod --AP

Your method seems like a real improvement on the scopepac technique, faster, lighter and less costly.
You and Timmo should go into business, Easycarry(TM) scope with Quickpoint(TM) aiming tie. o:D

Your method seems like a real improvement on the scopepac technique, faster, lighter and less costly.
You and Timmo should go into business, Easycarry(TM) scope with Quickpoint(TM) aiming tie. o:D

Ha! Yes, we'd be raking in the $$$ if we could convince the birding community to buy all their zip-ties and nylon straps with end clips from us! :)

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back