• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2012 (4 Viewers)

I've been away for a week and everyone seems to be whizzing ahead. Still hoping for a few more migrants but so far only a lot of chiff chaffs passing through. I can add Marsh Tit, no 53, though.

Despite my enforced confinement to house & garden & much staring, the skies remain resolutely bereft of anything new. With Sand martin long overdue, only a single Skylark & no buntings & the weather probably too good for passing Ospreys, Wheatears, & even Meadow pipits almost non existant, plus the fact that successive bad winters have extirpated Kingfisher & Moothen from the canal adjacent...I don't think this year's going to be exceptional chez Halftwo.

Well done on the Marsh tit, Joanne.

Despite my enforced confinement to house & garden & much staring, the skies remain resolutely bereft of anything new. With Sand martin long overdue, only a single Skylark & no buntings & the weather probably too good for passing Ospreys, Wheatears, & even Meadow pipits ...

Don't know about up your way but excessive heat haze or even just misty haze the last week or so hasn't helped.

Was going to ask earlier, how far from the coast are you?

I've had to deal with torrential rain on about 75% of my days so far. Weather should markedly improve in a month or so but then the migration will be over - but then that is usually better in the Spring when the countryside is much drier and all sorts of amazing stuff can turn up.

Don't know about up your way but excessive heat haze or even just misty haze the last week or so hasn't helped.

Was going to ask earlier, how far from the coast are you?

Depends what you mean by coast! The Mersey & Dee estuaries are c.15-20 miles distant, the coast proper c.25-30 miles.

.... the weather probably too good for passing Ospreys, Wheatears, & even Meadow pipits almost non existant, plus the fact that successive bad winters have extirpated Kingfisher & Moothen from the canal adjacent...I don't think this year's going to be exceptional chez Halftwo.

Well done on the Marsh tit, Joanne.

Osprey over Warrington today.

CB

That surprises me Rob. Its my second commonest Falcon after Peregrine (which is virtually daily). I'd have thought that your habitat was more conducive!

I think the near-continuous presence of peregrines overlooking the saltmarsh during the winter puts them off!
We failed to record merlin last year.

Rob

Osprey over Warrington today.

CB

I had a raptor reaction yesterday which was for something unusual, but failed to locate the raptor concerned. Osprey was the most likely candidate.

With winter now over and several species not recorded, Merlin being one possible, the total is missing a few annuals, or near annuals.

I've had a bit of a run of Columbids of late and I added another today.

I awoke to glorious sunny weather and relatively low humidity. It felt like winter suddenly! There was no mistaking the bird making the 'oo-wahoo' call from the next street (I live on a ridge and practically look over the next street). As I detoured through Woodward St. on my bike to go to work, there was the Bar-shouldered Dove calling from a street tree but it immediately took flight as soon as I approached and headed straight for my place! They can be quite skittish and yet on Fitzroy Island they're pecking around your feet...

These birds have been largely displaced in Cairns by introduced Spotted Turtle Doves but remain common around mangroves and in a few scattered suburbs. There're everywhere once you get out of Cairns! There's usually a couple of pairs in Edge Hill but this is the first time I've become aware of any this year.

Allowing for Feral Pigeon, that's my eighth species of Pigeon/Dove this year with a few more possibles still outstanding.

77) Bar-shouldered Dove.

Last edited:
With winter now over and several species not recorded, Merlin being one possible, the total is missing a few annuals, or near annuals.

At different compass points within 1/2 mile radius of my abode...House Sparrow/Tree Creeper/Brambling/Reed Bunting/Mipit/Pied Wagtail and Moorhen(in stream behind..but not visible) a bit miffed!..add to that a probable only...LSWdpkr flyover..double miffed!....such is ''Yard-ing'':-C

But there are some compensations, this fellow was looking through my bedroom window this morning :)

Attachments

• Hawfinch gar 1.jpg
    Hawfinch gar 1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 37
Depends what you mean by coast! The Mersey & Dee estuaries are c.15-20 miles distant, the coast proper c.25-30 miles.

In either case you're properly inland though ... !

Dealing with torrential rain/snow - we've just hada bit of sunshine here in the uk but it's still important to complain about/look on the non-bright side. Record March temps in Scotland for example (not so hot down here) ... now a drought is on the cards ...

But there are some compensations, this fellow was looking through my bedroom window this morning :)

Very nice. Although it doesn't beat the fact that I nearly had a Goldfinch land on the guttering yesterday as I was looking out of the bedroom window, before it went off and landed on a neighbours open window. (Didn't try and get a pic - it wouldn't have been any good.) ( ;) )

(Probably a female looking for mineral supplements? - it then went off and pecked at someone's garage)

Last edited:
So, a few additions to my Vilnius garden in recent days. Common Buzzard over, Robins arrived and singing, three Hawfinches today (pictures through the window).

25. Common Buzzard
26. Robin
27. Hawfinch

Most interesting however relates to a Blue Tit - a male with a ring has been hanging around since December, but never have I been able to read it. I got a partial read on it today and it appears to be a bird from Croatia! Not only a very notable movement, but also an illogical direction ...what idiotic bird flies 1200 km north-east to winter in Lithuania?

Attachments

• Hawfinch gar 2.jpg
    Hawfinch gar 2.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Am impressed with your Hawfinches Jos!...How frequent are they in your abode? Presume you have baited them with Sunflower seeds?

cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back