• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Deterring Squirrels (1 Viewer)

n.blackthorn

Im looking for some advise, a have a long thin garden with a number of large pine trees on the one edge of my garden which I use to hang my bird feeder.

unfortunately these tree are also used by at least 2 pairs of squirrels if not more. I regularly find my bird feeder damaged or wake up to a hilarious view of squirrels trying to perch on the edge of the bird feed tray while eating.

I have been looking on the internet for a deterrent, but I not really sure which anti-squirrel designs work well.

A friend recommended me this top feeder (http://www.livingwithbirds.com/bird-feeders/extra-large-feeders/big-top-feeder/) but I'm not really sure whether this will just provoke the squirrels even more to try to sit on the top on the bird feed. Any advise would be appreciated.

Get some thin wire cable from the hardware store, and rig up a pulley or tightrope system that the squirrels cannot navigate. Put a catch-tray under the feeder. A long piece of Bamboo helps when it comes to hanging this trapeze in a tree or between two trees. Squirrel Nutkin will easily eat up 2/3rds of your seed budget if you are not careful.

I have a Droll yankee flipper that is yet to be beaten by a gray squirrel. I have this mounted by a chain from a branch in a Dogwood tree. I have recently added a droll yankee squirrel guard to this feeder. It helps keep the seed dry was the reason I added it, and not to guard against squirrels. I have recently ordered a roller feeder but have not received it to comment about it's effectiveness, but from their website the testimonials and the design look amazing! Good luck check out rollerfeeder.com. I have no affiliation with them.

Instead of getting wire cable, or purely plastic feeders, I would recommend getting the Geohaus feeder – it has sturdy metal protective bars around the outside of the feeder, meaning that only smaller, dextereous birds can access the feeder itself, not any pesky squirrels. I’ve got it in the red design which I think looks super in the garden. ☺

I rather stupidly got one from Amazon, but you can get them for cheaper from Garden Bird Supplies - http://www.gardenbird.co.uk/geohaus-compact-nut-feeder.html

I largely bought this rather than the squirrel buster due to its aesthetic qualities, but I think it’s an extremely solid product nevertheless!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back