• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (22 Viewers)

I had a similar problem last week coming home from the gym. A bird I immediately assumed to be a peregrine carrying prey flew away from me but I couldn't really tell the size of it because of the height and nothing else to compare it to. A definite falcon in a built up area only a hundred or so metres away from farmland, would have been nice to be sure of the species.

Could be my myopia-but the size comparison comes from the bird being chased! I'll have to leave my bins where I can get at them-not in the car!We get regular Red Kite, Buzzard,Kestrel and Sparrowhawk here,and I'm sure it wasn't one of them.
On a different note how do YOU tell a Kite from a Buzzard? I see them that often,the flight is usually enough-that ,and the reaction of the Crows!

Red Kite and buzzard - how to tell them apart

Go to; http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/page15.htm

The Chart below gives the main characteristics of each bird.

Could be my myopia-but the size comparison comes from the bird being chased! I'll have to leave my bins where I can get at them-not in the car!We get regular Red Kite, Buzzard,Kestrel and Sparrowhawk here,and I'm sure it wasn't one of them.
On a different note how do YOU tell a Kite from a Buzzard? I see them that often,the flight is usually enough-that ,and the reaction of the Crows!

Attachments

• Kite-Buzzard chart.JPG
    Kite-Buzzard chart.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Kite - Buzzard in flight.JPG
    Kite - Buzzard in flight.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 61
more to come

Some from the last few weeks................

Attachments

• k1.jpg
    k1.jpg
    810.1 KB · Views: 68
  • e1.jpg
    e1.jpg
    921.8 KB · Views: 78
  • c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    893.6 KB · Views: 88
  • d1.jpg
    d1.jpg
    664.1 KB · Views: 68
It's not a great picture but could anyone narrow down this butterfly please? I assume it's some kind of fritillary. Taken on moorland between Malham Cove and the Tarn.

Attachments

• fritillary crop.jpg
    fritillary crop.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Wader surprise!

I know waders are on the move , but this Dunlin I found on a small pool , all alone , on a public/bridal path up to the coast. Allowed a close approach, even staying whilst horses went past .
Must have been shattered, but was feeding away quite happily.

Just one of those moments when you get close to nature!

Attachments

• dunYB.jpg
    dunYB.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 97
32 Wood Sandpipers yesterday at Hatfield on Packards in evening according to RBA,Anyone know the record for a single site in Yorkshire?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back