• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (20 Viewers)

Hi Linda

I went up to Bempton Cliffs for a bit and then went on to North Cave. Nothing out of the ordinary but good to be out in the very fresh air!

Owen

I have just joined ,I moved a few months back to Headingly and now see a lot more birds in the garden here than I ever saw when we lived nr Haworth but I don't know what some of them are,I know the usual assorted Sparrows ,Blackbirds ,Blue tits etc. and the distinctive more unusual ones ,The Red Kites and Woodpeckers etc,but there's a lot of Brown birds of all sizes in the garden I cant identify and wondered if its ok to post photos for help from members to identify them

Hi Lynn
I run birdwatching classes for beginners and I live very close to you. You can email me on [email protected] for my latest list of classes and to receive 50% off your first 2 hour class. My website is www.startbirding.co.uk

Looking forward to hearing from you and welcome to Bird Forum (and Headingley)

Linda

Hi Linda

I went up to Bempton Cliffs for a bit and then went on to North Cave. Nothing out of the ordinary but good to be out in the very fresh air!

Owen

I doubt it could have been fresher. I was glad of the shelter of the hides at Tophill Low although the screen at the 'O' reservoir proved a challenge. I'm guessing it is going to be too windy at St Aidan's for my class on Saturday. Might need to go with an alternative venue.

The garden has been a good place to be recently with red kite flying over, a huge female juv sparrowhawk taking continental blackbirds, lots of bullfinches and redwing and 1 fieldfare. So easy to procrastinate and not do my tax return!

I have just joined ,I moved a few months back to Headingly and now see a lot more birds in the garden here than I ever saw when we lived nr Haworth but I don't know what some of them are,I know the usual assorted Sparrows ,Blackbirds ,Blue tits etc. and the distinctive more unusual ones ,The Red Kites and Woodpeckers etc,but there's a lot of Brown birds of all sizes in the garden I cant identify and wondered if its ok to post photos for help from members to identify them

RSPB web site has a bird ID tool which sometimes works quite well. Looking forward to any photos you post here, it's interesting how many different birds you can see fairly close to the city center.

Anyone got info on the water levels at the LDV? Just wondering whether they would be high enough to give us an opportunity for a BF meet there sometime soon.

Anyone got info on the water levels at the LDV? Just wondering whether they would be high enough to give us an opportunity for a BF meet there sometime soon.

Well, you can get in both hides OK. Everything was v distant, but you could just about ID Whoopers from Mute Swans in bins - much clearer thro the scope. Garganey hide was better for birds than Geoff Smith. The water levels weren't that high or v.close to the hides.

There was a positive message about Wheldrake on Yorks Birders Facebook the other day. Apparently, the long walk to the hide is as muddy as ever.

My day at N.Duff summarised here: http://eybirdwatching.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/nice-start-to-new-year.html

All - I'm sure many of you have seen, read or heard about the YWT's plans to build a new visitor centre at Spurn. It is considered by many that the location for this centre is wholly inappropriate for many reasons. A growing number of people are opposed to these plans & there is now an online petition to register your opposition...or indeed to read & help make your mind up. Pls pls take a minute to read through & sign. Your voice in opposition could make a difference.
More details can be found in the Facebook page
No to Spurns YWT visitor centre page. #keepspurnwild

Petition is here;
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-to-yorkshire-wildlife-trusts-spurn-visitor

a few east coast pics

off work sick, but recuperating after surgery, so have managed to venture out past few days. A couple of close encounters with 'special' birds.

Attachments

• seo12.jpg
    seo12.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 113
  • seo13.jpg
    seo13.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 105
  • seo15.jpg
    seo15.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 112
  • waterrail1.jpg
    waterrail1.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 92
  • waterrail2.jpg
    waterrail2.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 87
Brambling

Saw a decent flock of brambling 19/01/15 at Hotham feeding on the beech trees in the parkland. Also at North Cave Wetlands were>
Merlin
Barn Owl
Redpoll
Sparrowhawk
and plenty of the commoner ones around.

There is always one!

to the guy at Buckton today,,,beard ,600mm lens on a monopod, and a black and white dog.I don't know if u visit this site but if u do, please take note of the following:
1) Its impossible to photograph a LEO at 10 feet with your lens
2)when someone,,ie me,,puts u onto this bird ,and tells u that u should walk past the bird and then assess the situation u should listen
3)especially when u have a dog
4)u shouldn't then persue the flushed owl across the site which is a triple sssi
5)at least u did respond when shouted at to get out of the dell
6)you prevented several other birdwatchers seeing the bird which was sat comfortably and settled until u ignored all advice
7)I hope u never come to Buckton again
8)if u do return,please don't beat gorse bushes trying to flush owls.
9)Learn some field craft,start by leaving your dog at home.
10)can't wait to see your pic of a LEOs left eye,what a lens u have!

apologies to all for my rant, sounds unbelievable,but its all true.

So sad........

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back