• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Robin flying repeatedly into window (1 Viewer)

2littlebadgers

Hi, there -

I'm looking for any advice on how to stop a robin from flying into our kitchen window over and over again. This started about a week ago, and initially drawing the blinds seemed to help, but within a day, the bird was back at it. We then tried taping a large bird silhouette on the window, but this didn't seem to help in the least...the robin is still flying into the window off and on throughout the day. Any suggestions as to why the bird is doing this, and how we can get it to stop? I'm afraid it is going to harm itself if it keeps this behavior up!

Thanks for any thoughts!

It's probably just fighting its reflection in the glass as male birds of many species often do during the breeding season. There is very little likelihood that it will hurt itself. Once it has a mate and eggs in the nest it should settle down.

Hi 2'
As Fugl states, it's spring territorial ritual.
The article below is aimed primarily at inadvertent strikes, that are more sinister.
Within the article, there's several suggestions for help.
Including a net like affair that will bounce then harmlessly off.
Seen a Robin chasing moving cars the other day, for the same reason.

Birds & Windows

American robins are fanatically territorial. The bird wasting energy in nesting/fledgling season by fighting his reflection is not unusual, but not a good thing either. If it did seem to be a significant waste of energy, I would be looking for an acceptable-for-all way to cover or obscure the outside of the window so no reflection can be seen. How about something like wax paper?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back