• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (39 Viewers)

Oliver. Sounds like you have been through the wars recently. You will get to see a greenish at some point. Stuart is spot on in respect of birding on the point. Birds can lie low for long periods. My experience of Norfolk birders at cley is that they are in main helpful with information. Hope that you get out birding soon. Regards. Mark.

Oliver. Sounds like you have been through the wars recently. You will get to see a greenish at some point. Stuart is spot on in respect of birding on the point. Birds can lie low for long periods. My experience of Norfolk birders at cley is that they are in main helpful with information. Hope that you get out birding soon. Regards. Mark.

Cheers Mark! Was lucky to walk away from a massive car crash 6 weeks ago so I am thankful for that but it obviously left damage both physically and mentally!
My only experience of point birding is the Pallas's Gropper years ago so it isn't an area I know at all well!
Did see a stunning Wheatear (see pics) though and the Red-Backed Shrike!
Will be much happier once I can get birding again through my own means!
cheers again

Attachments

• P1020074.jpg
    P1020074.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 125
  • P1020077.jpg
    P1020077.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 117
Having lived in London for a fair few years, and in the western stronghold of the RNP, personally I wouldn't have a problem with an id on a drivepast/flyover situation. With the large population in the South East (which is spreading) I would have thought that an RNP would be more likely than an escape.

Anyway, they can stay in London. 'Orrible noisy birds.

Agree totally. Despite being a Norfolk resident, I also work in London and have lived / worked in West London (where the majority are based) for the past decade. Although I am not as experienced as others in Norfolk with certain species, they are just so common in West London that I could confidently a vagrant bird in Norfolk on flyover basis. I don't care if anyone wants to start a flame war, 'observer familiar with species' should count for something, and a lot of Norfolk birders will be comfortable with a fly over ID based on London RNP observation experience.

where is the blighter?

Went this evening for the Greenish, was there from 4:45-6:45, no sign, what are the chances?
Any chance of some accurate location details? Everyone I met was either vague or clueless as to where the bird was!
I had a hunch it was in the sueda in front of you from the halfway house path, as the path opened out a little with the sueda in front of you as you looked to Blakeney church?
Cheers

I was heading out when a distant Stuart (White) shouted across to me that I should turn left at halfway house. We could hardly hear each other so I carried (sorry trudged) on, with that simple direction only.

Upon arrival I was told the bird was (probably) on the other side of the channel in line with Salthouse church. I crossed over, avoiding the direct muddy route. Extensive searching in dense suaeda, with pishing: no sign - one reed bunting.

I left when everyone else did (hi Oliver sorry I did not recognise you!)

Moved to the beach to walk back. Eddie Myers and others on the way out. I turned back and headed down the area just before halfway house. Eddie told me it was called the fairway. Eddie, a n other and I could not find the greenish there.

Three other new arrivals waved to me.
They had the greenish warbler - south of halfway house (as Stuart said!!) and towards Blakeney church. Moving about, low at first, then mobile before giving good views in the suaeda.

I rang RBA just after 7 after everyone on site had seen the bird and identified it. Supercilium, short wing-bar (one only not two alas!), pale flanks, dark legs all noted so no willow chiff or indeed arctic warbler.

I need not have crossed the channel at all!
Bird did not come out when you were in the right area Oliver.

Perhaps I was lucky that others arrived and the sun came and stayed out.

I do know from twitching raddes warblers at Wells and Holkham that they skulk but often come out late on when you are thinking of giving up.

Last edited:
Paul Woolnough was there and posts on here. Paul are you clueless ?

On a more serious note, birds can be hard to find on blakeney point, you were just unlucky that all the poeple who had been watching it had left by the time you got there. Better luck next time.

My other posting the first on the Norfolk thread since 30 June.

I did not read the threads after Olivers post no 12719. Whoops missed a whole page of threads this post is 12745!8-P

Last edited:
I walked to Halfway House on Monday evening at 6pm (mad;)) and saw 4 grey partridges, a skylark and a reed bunting:-O:-O:-O

Not been able to go birding since as too ill:-C Nice to see some good birds dropping in at last though!

Penny:girl:

I was heading out when a distant Stuart (White) shouted across to me that I should turn left at halfway house. We could hardly hear each other so I carried (sorry trudged) on, with that simple direction only.

Upon arrival I was told the bird was (probably) on the other side of the channel in line with Salthouse church. I crossed over, avoiding the direct muddy route. Extensive searching in dense suaeda, with pishing: no sign - one reed bunting.

I left when everyone else did (hi Oliver sorry I did not recognise you!)

Moved to the beach to walk back. Eddie Myers and others on the way out. I turned back and headed down the area just before halfway house. Eddie told me it was called the fairway. Eddie, a n other and I could not find the greenish there.

Three other new arrivals waved to me.
They had the greenish warbler - south of halfway house (as Stuart said!!) and towards Blakeney church. Moving about, low at first, then mobile before giving good views in the suaeda.

I rang RBA just after 7 after everyone on site had seen the bird and identified it. Supercilium, short wing-bar (one only not two alas!), pale flanks, dark legs all noted so no willow chiff or indeed arctic warbler.

I need not have crossed the channel at all!
Bird did not come out when you were in the right area Oliver.

Perhaps I was lucky that others arrived and the sun came and stayed out.

I do know from twitching raddes warblers at Wells and Holkham that they skulk but often come out late on when you are thinking of giving up.

Hate to say it but "glad" I wasn't the only one out of luck!
Wouldn't have recognised you either Paul! I sware I would know far more people (and far more about birds) had I not stopped birding for 6 years up until the end of last year!
Just sounds like a series of unfortunate events! Really gutted but that's life! Desperate to go back tomorrow but dunno if I have time/am able/my back can handle it!
Certainly feeling that walk!
Apologies if I have offended anyone on here with my "vague and clueless" remark. Wasn't meant to be judgmental as I was just as bad if not worse! Was more a rant at the whole 2 and a bit hours I was out there for!

Apologies if I have offended anyone on here with my "vague and clueless" remark. Wasn't meant to be judgmental as I was just as bad if not worse! Was more a rant at the whole 2 and a bit hours I was out there for!

I see no offence in your postings.

Greenish warbler an overdue Cley Square tick for me.

Never mind not recognising you Oliver I did not recognise Josh either!

Bit early for a brown fly. Booted warbler is on the cards though. Otherwise a few odds and sods.

Sometimes they fly!! Do not worry there will more greenish warblers Oliver. I suspect fairly soon? I was under the impression that josh had stopped using bins!

only when i'm disposing of my tripod! theres gonna be more on binless birding this oughtum promise you. A few more decent things on the cards tonight taking down BB Paul Bishop twice http://www.bishopspics.com/home(and that doesn't stand for British Birds)!

Interesting discussion about the Greenish, got the impression watching it (when it was showing ;-)maybe cos of its usual habitat it was quite happy to feed high up in the Sueada and yes showed really well when everyone keeping a respectable distance, think it would have been a different story had it been a Locust teller. Good to meet you Watson!
First coherent post 12pm post for over a year! err no B :)

Last edited:
Still slightly Greenish with NV ?

Recently claimed off sherringham along with the Lancaster bomber and Elvis!!

I have seen a Lancaster over and off Sheringham, several times in the last ten years. It was often associated with Spitfires. (No, I’m not THAT old !) Note that I'm definitely NOT claiming an Elvis sighting, although a Dalek is located just off Station Road.

It looks as if there was another Greenish available yesterday- along the Drift at Warham Greens.

See: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=137034, for more on N’flk butts & mirths.

Having tramped around Burnham Overy Dunes on Monday, for little result, I know my limits- especially after the effects of the enterobacteria I smuggled in from Spain. The GP said I’d feel as if I’d had ‘flu, for the rest of this week. Thus, I have not yet been up to going to Halfway House: the shingle would prove too strenuous. This would, of course change, if anyone could offer a lift back, though ?

I was thinking ‘here we go again’, as I read through last eve’s posts- but the furore seems to have naturally abated.

I have been seeing what I can only describe as ‘bird waves’ at Walsey Hills, in the last few days; and at Warham Greens, yesterday. This is a new development and much more akin to what one would expect in, say, the rain forest. Are our birds changing their behaviour for some reason, Has anyone else noticed this ? Could it have anything to do with what Martin Cade said on 23rd inst, here: http://www.portlandbirdobs.org.uk/aa_latestnews.htm ?

Last edited:
It looks as if there was another Greenish available yesterday- along the Drift at Warham Greens.

Hi John,

Looks like yesterday was a hit and miss day for me. We spent a couple of hours before lunch at Warham Greens with little reward (except for some spilt samphire from a chap who was collecting on an industrial scale :eat:).

Then I saw the Greenish on the point.

Do you have any further information on the Warham GW?

Dave: it was seen and heard by three of the most reputable birders in County.

They then lost it, just before I arrived.

I didn't lose it, as it was only a Greenish.

Dave: it was seen and heard by three of the most reputable birders in County.

They then lost it, just before I arrived.

I didn't lose it, as it was only a Greenish.

Thanks fir that. ;)

Glad you are so relaxed about not seeing it. I am just taking it as further evidence of my inability to find anything at Warham as this is just another good bird that was seen after one of my trips. :-C

Warham Green(i)s(h)

There seem to be two (mainly) tit flocks: one almost wholely Long-taileds, the other mixed.

These flocks have been/are (?) prone to following large circuits; sometimes, all the way down the Drift, to the main road, othertimes, going around the 'square' of hedges around the buildings.

Depending on how fast they are feeding/woteva, it could take an appreciable time for them to complete the circuit/retrace their flutters.

I don't 'know' it wasn't wild but I do know that the average dispersal natal dispersal distance for RNPs is just 1km.

From personal experience I am struggling to agree with this statement.
I have written the RNP segment in the Herts Bird Report since 1998. I also live in SW Herts in the heart of the area where RNP's have colonised in just the last few years. The first mention of them potentially breeding in the county was around 2006 when there were just 42 records in the county. Just look at http://www.hertsatlas.org.uk/2008/RI.shtml. My first sighting in SW Herts was in 2005, and I have actively birded the area for well over a quarter of a centuary. Now there is hardly a day goes by when I don't record this species in the county in SW Herts. The 1992 report had just 4 sites with the occasional bird on the odd date and it was first recorded in 1985 in the county.

Compare the above with the winter atlas http://www.hertsatlas.org.uk/2007/RI.shtml when they explore new potential areas.

As this is a Norfolk thread -they are heading your way but it is likely to be many years before you get them in any numbers so enjoy your lack of RNP
While you can (tongue in cheek). They will eat you out of house and home, spoil some of your birding encounters by their aggressive behaviour even with Cuckoo's but can be fun to watch as well.

The problem when quoting a birds habbits is what holds true for one area or in one period of time is not necessarly true for another. Maybe the Dutch RNPs are sedentary , but that dosent mean the UK birds are.

The problem when quoting a birds habbits is what holds true for one area or in one period of time is not necessarly true for another. Maybe the Dutch RNPs are sedentary , but that dosent mean the UK birds are.

That's the mean natal dispersal, so as Joan points out they may still make some exploratory movements. BUT, they are still largely central place foragers - returning to the same communal roost sites. Maybe Mark Grantham or someone could provide some ringing data (Mark, you reading this) that would discredit my speculation. However, I see no reason to beleive why UK birds would behave any different to birds in the Low Countries. Its still a sedentary tropical parakeet... Do you Tideliner?

With all the great birds turning up on the coast I thought it was worth trying to find a decent bird locally, so off I went for a couple of hours yesterday. Never easy so far inland and there was no RB Shrike, no Wryneck and certainly no Greenish Warbler for me, but I did get a couple of rewards when a Yellow Wagtail flew south over Tharston and three Greenshanks flew south-east together over Fritton, calling as they went. Always good to see migration in motion locally. Good numbers of Chiffies around too!

Just to add to the Ring-necked Parakeet saga, I had a point-blank close up view of a 100% definate RNP feeding on rotting apples in the tree back in January just north of Long Stratton and there was another definate bird which spent a whole week in the village in July 2008. So there...... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back