• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good sites for rare birds in Avon? (1 Viewer)

Ben16

Hi there
This is a plea for help from all south-west british birders, principly those in Gloucestershire, Wiltshire and Somerset. We have been trying to locate certain birds for some time, especially summer visitors. If any of you know a good place for Quail, where they turn up every year, that would be great. Someone said Tormarton in Wiltshire, others say the Salisbury Plain and Mendips. Do any lucky people get Quail on their farms? Another bird is the Grasshopper Warbler. If anyone knows a known breeding site, that would be great. Does anyone know a regular site for wintering Brambling? And finally, can anyone tell us about a site for Willow Tit which is reliable. I knows its asking a lot, but i'm sure there are loads of you out there who have the knowledge. In return, we can share a lot of accumulated knowledge with you concerning Gloucestershire and Somerset birds.
Thanks

Hi Ben,

Welcome to BirdForum!

Sorry I can't help with any site info (I'm at completely the wrong end of the country, and never done any birding in the Bristol area!). Had a Willow Tit today, but it was a bit far away for you (Budle Bay, Northumberland) I fear.

One tip that might be useful - if you want to see Quail, the best way to do it is to make friends with a farmer who has them on his land. Then when he harvests his crops, ask to come for a ride on his combine harvester. To identify them - they look just like all-brown Little Auks, same shape and flight pattern (OK, I guess you've never seen a Little Auk . . . maybe come up this end of the country after all . . . ;))

Michael

Personally, I would counsel against anyone divulging the breeding sites of scarce species except where they are well known and wardened.

I lived in Bristol for many years up to the mid '80s. In those days I don't think there were any regular breeding sites for any of the species you mention. Chittening Warth at Severn Beach sometimes used to get Brambling in winter (I actually ticked them there). It was as regular a spot for them as any in Avon, but they were by no means annual. Of course things may have changed in the intervening years.

How's the Frome Valley doing these days?

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back