• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in the Faroes (1 Viewer)

MariettaBirder

My wife and I will be taking a cruise (on the Oceania Marina) this coming July that starts in Copenhagen and ends in Dover, England with stops at Kristiansand, Bergen & Sognefjord in Norway, Lerwick in the Shetlands, Torshavn in the Faroes, Isafjordur & Reykjavic in Iceland, Belfast, the Isle of Man and Dublin.

One of the ship’s tours in the Faroes is a tour boat to the Sea Cliffs near Vestmanna. Is this a good place for birding? Or, is there a better place to go keeping in mind that the ship will only be there from 9:00 to 18:00 leaving at best about 7 hours.

Any suggestions or ideas will be appreciated.

What a wonderful trip that sounds.

There's some information about the Faroes in the Opus article HERE, which I hope will keep you going until someone else arrives.

D

I think I'm correct in saying that there's a total eclipse of the sun over the Faroes in 2015. Not sure what time of year but I'm hoping to go there to see it and also take in some of the wildlife that the islands have to offer. It must be a magical place I would imagine.

You would be wasting your time and money going to a sea cliff on the Faroes.[especially as the Faroes weather can be unreliable]
We did a similar cruise and you will see so many birds on deck close by there is no need to go to a sea cliff to see the same birds.
Take your scope and keep it on deck too.
Brilliant itinarey!
Try and get up early when arriving in ports.
That's when you see the most birds.
Also try to be on deck as the ship leaves ports for as long as possible.[second sitting]
You will see 1000s of Puffins,Auks,Gulls,Shearwaters,Terns,Gannets,Skuas,Petrels,etc all the way.
Not to mention endless sightings of Whales.
You will have a great time.

You would be wasting your time and money going to a sea cliff on the Faroes.[especially as the Faroes weather can be unreliable]
We did a similar cruise and you will see so many birds on deck close by there is no need to go to a sea cliff to see the same birds.
Take your scope and keep it on deck too.
Brilliant itinarey!
Try and get up early when arriving in ports.
That's when you see the most birds.
Also try to be on deck as the ship leaves ports for as long as possible.[second sitting]
You will see 1000s of Puffins,Auks,Gulls,Shearwaters,Terns,Gannets,Skuas,Petrels,etc all the way.
Not to mention endless sightings of Whales.
You will have a great time.

Thanks for the guidance, especially about the Sea Cliffs. I am usually up and on deck whenever possible during cruises and appreciate your tips on timing.

Thanks for the guidance, especially about the Sea Cliffs. I am usually up and on deck whenever possible during cruises and appreciate your tips on timing.
Cheers
The other mistake people often make is to book a whale watching trip!
When you can see them for fun on deck all around Iceland again a waste of time and money.
If you get the chance try to sail on to Greenland combining Iceland.The Whale Watching is even better.
Have you been to Spitzbergen.
Definitely worth a cruise up there especially if you can get at least 2 days there.
Best cruise for birding for me was Carribean Islands.
Easy birdwatching around the ports of call.
Have a great time!

Cheers
The other mistake people often make is to book a whale watching trip!
When you can see them for fun on deck all around Iceland again a waste of time and money.
If you get the chance try to sail on to Greenland combining Iceland.The Whale Watching is even better.
Have you been to Spitzbergen.
Definitely worth a cruise up there especially if you can get at least 2 days there.
Best cruise for birding for me was Carribean Islands.
Easy birdwatching around the ports of call.
Have a great time!

Greenland won't happen on this cruise and I haven't been to Spitzbergen yet.
My best cruises for birding were the sub-antarctic Islands of New Zealand and the Galapagos. The former for pelagic birds including 8 species of albatrosses that included nesting Southern Royal Albatrosses on Campbell Island. The latter for its unique species and we also ran with dolphins in a zodiac and chased humpbacks. Plus I took a one-day private tour out of Quito, Ecuador before the cruise into the cloud forest--great place for hummers, wish I had had more time there.

I agree the Caribbean birding is good, we did one last summer but it couldn't match Ecuador.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back