• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Berry-picking gulls (1 Viewer)

Phil Andrews

It's only Rock and Roller but I like it
United Kingdom
I quote the below observation from a seasoned birder at Upton Warren NR, Worcestershire; has anyone ever noted something similar?

This evening a flock of Black-headed Gulls were hovering over the north end of the 1st Flash. Initially I though a fox was walking along the bank, but they never dipped down to mob anything. Then we noticed that they were picking something off a bush. I have seen them doing this over the Oak tree in the autumn when they were picking flying insects off he leaves. But closer inspection revealed that they were picking sloes from the blackthorn bush on the bank. They were then landing on the water to wash them before swallowing. I have never witnessed this behaviour before. :t:

I've seen them picking elder berries (which they swallowed on the spot), but not sloes. That can't be easy for them as they're (a) usually quite deeply placed within the branch structure, and (b) firmly attached, needing a strong tug to get them off.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back