• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maven B3 10x30: low-light glare? (1 Viewer)

crinklystarfish

Ireland
I’ve owned 2 x Nikon M7 10x30s (I still have one), a Swarovski CL Companion 10x30 and have spent some time with a Kite Lynx 10x30. I’ve found that all have (to me) significant shortcomings in terms of their control of errant light, which manifests in glare / flare in low-light and / or near-sun situations.

The glare I personally find most obtrusive is the ‘low light’ veil / milky / smokescreen type apparition (often in something of a crescent shape) that manifests most often when viewing a dark subject (or when viewing over open water) under a grey sky.

From various threads on the subject it would seem that the most probable cause of this low-light milky veiling glare is a poorly baffled objective cell. I personally see this very distracting and utterly bespoiling phenomenon in many binoculars but I speculate that in lower light, given that pupil dilation may exceed 3mm, the 10x30 format is particularly prone to throwing up this issue.

Simply then, does the Maven B3 10x30 address this low-light glare issue? Is the objective cell sufficiently baffled and does it succeed where all other ‘premium’ 10x30s currently fail? I understand the Maven is Kamakura sourced but that companies are free to specify tweaks to the basic design to optimise the instrument to their own ends. Does the B3 10x30 throw up a ‘smokescreen’ just like the M7 and Kite?

I’m aware some assert that eye placement and IPD settings can help but I’ve persevered with such things every-which-way and it makes little difference. In any event, when trying to quickly acquire a subject the last thing I want to be thinking about is placing my eyes to the last tenth of a millimetre.

I’m inclined to try a B3 but facing the prospect of heavy taxation and import duty it would be quite an expensive purchase given the company’s retail model. Have Maven cracked it?

Thanks in advance.

I know this is not what you are asking for but perhaps you should think about getting a top of the line 10x32 from Swarovski, Zeiss, or Nikon instead?

They all are expensive compared to the 10x30s you have listed so that may be a major concern, but my experience with inexpensive and mid-priced 10x32 binoculars is that they are not very good and all of them had veiling glare issues.

I have a Nikon 10x32 EDG II which controls this kind of glare very well. So did the Nikon 10x32 HG/L I previously used, which I still own. You might be able to find one on the used market.

The EDG has a longer 17.3mm ER to the HG/Ls 16mm. And, like the HG/L it is rather heavy; it weighs 22.9 ounces which may also be a problem for you.

Bob

The Maven 10X30 should be no different than the Kite 10X30 you've all ready tried.

You ever think about trying a 10X42 binocular?

Hi csf,
The 8x42 Nikon Monarch HG that I have, has numerous large arcs of glare from a streetlight just outside the field. I think from inside body surfaces.
I think the body is too small and the field stop and field too wide.

The 8x32 Conquest HD has a single long inclined light pillar in each barrel, I think from prism edges. Can be cured by cutting off bottom 4mm or 5mm of objectives.

The 10x42 Conquest HD is the best I have found to date.

The only way to know is to test a binocular yourself. Other peoples conclusions are quite different to mine and probably yours.

The Nikon 8x32 SE seems good for flare/glare, achieved by small field I think. But I hate the blackouts.

I have never found a perfect binocular. I don't think it exists.
Perfect telescopes do exist.

P.S.
Useless information.

Having just celebrated the arrival of 2017.
2017 is a prime number, I think. Maybe we have to wait till 2027 for the next.

Last edited:
I tend to agree with Chuck. However your problem may well lie in eye placement in relationship to small exit pupil size. That and many 30-32 mm binoculars have some problems with eye cup extension (or lack thereof) and can give some issues. I tend to think you may find some problems with anything in a 30-32. I think much of the problem people experience with glare is at least in some degree related to eye placement.

I think a good 42 may help. If size is an issue, the Opticron DBA VHD is q very good glass that is quite small for a 42 mm binocular.

Personally I have zero glare issues with any of my 8x30 maven B3 binoculars, had none with a 6x30 I had for review. That said, I've never seen the 10x30 b3.

Thanks to all for the input.

I have a few bins in various formats (including some Alphas) but continue to seek out a robust single-hinge travel-specific 10x at a reasonable price, which demonstrates no deal-breaking bad habits.

I do quite a bit of push-bike touring and 10x30 is my preferred format for this use. My 'bike' bin has a tough life (and is more prone to theft) - hence the need for something robust, relatively light and compact, reasonably priced, and able to deliver decent performance - even in poor light.

I've owned Alpha double hinged compacts and these do a pretty good job but I much prefer the single hinge design, and the much improved TFoV the previously mentioned crop of Kamakura-based 10x offer.

If anyone has direct experience of the Maven B3 10x30 - or if indeed Maven would like me to... ahem... 'evaluate' a pair, I remain open to the hope that they may have a better control of the errant-light control issues that other manufacturers are struggling with (or don't really much care about) in the 10x30 roof-prism format.

My current Nikon M7 10x30 does a reasonable job most of the time but the low-light glare issue drives me nuts. I found the Lynx somewhat similar, whilst the CL Companion fell short in quite a few areas. It's a pity the Nikon and Kite throw up this low-light glare trait, if it wasn't for it they are both very good performers at a very reasonable price.

Useless information.

Having just celebrated the arrival of 2017.
2017 is a prime number, I think. Maybe we have to wait till 2027 for the next.

Hello Binastro,

According to Siri both 2017 and 2027 are prime numbers.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Living in the UK I think it would be easier for you to try the new Opticron Traveller BGA ED 10x32. Similar specs as the Nikon/Kite/Maven but maybe a different optical design (32 mm objectives and significantly more eye-relief).

Maybe Frank who is testing the 8x32 can tell us more about its glare perfermance, ideally compared to the Maven B3...

George

Last edited:
I have not run into a single glare issue with it.

Keep in mind I don't have any issues with the Maven B3 8x30 either.

I did note the glare issue with the uncoated Nikon M7 8x30.

I did have glare issues with the B3 8x30. Same with the Lynx 8x30. It seems that some people are less sensitive to glare than others. The same is true for CA---some (lucky) people never see it.

It might also be how you hold the bino., or your IPD and eyecup settings. I have found all of these can have an effect.

The HT is a glare free as any bino. I have used, but I can get crescent glare if the IPD is too narrow, or if my eyes are poorly positioned in relation to the oculars. It may take considerable use to find the ideal situation.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back