• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI - Planning a trip in Wyoming in September (1 Viewer)

Semiramis

Hi,

I will be visiting Yellowstone/Teton in late Agust/early September this year but will also have time to visit to visit other parts of Wyoming and Badlands NP/Custer State Park in South Dakota. Ventures into southern Montana, northern Colorado or southeast Idaho would be okay too.

Can anyone recommend good birding sites (and/or interesting little-known mammal sites) at this time of year?

Is there a good online resource or book for birding (and mammaling) in Wyoming. There is the Audubon website, but what else? There is an old birdwatching guide from the late 90s for Wyoming, but I guess this is now too out of date (and very difficult/expensive to get hold of in Europe).

Are the grasslands still worth visiting birdwise in September (Thunderbasin, Pawnee, Oglala, etc.)

I am new to birding in the USA (just came back from my first US trip in Arizona), so still need to see a lot of species. Favorites to see would include :

The two grassland longspurs
Mountain Plover
Red-headed woodpecker
Williamson's Sapsucker
Red-naped Sapsucker
Any of the grouses/sage grouse/prairie chickens
Cranes congregating or at migratiion stopovers

plus a couple of good sites for wetland/waterbirds and warbler migration.

Thanks in advance for any help/tips.

regards,

Sjef

I live in South Central Wyoming (Rawlins) and the Sage Grouse population is quite healthy in my area, especially in the sage brush flats that border small stands of trees. Up higher in the mountain forests the red headed woodpeckers can be found. I commonly see both, especially when I am out hunting. Hope this helped!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back