Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - A window to the world of birds

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 13th August 2017, 06:46   #26
Aigrette

Thank you all for your replies.
By Baader adapter was meant digiscoping adapter, in fact:
https://www.tringastro.co.uk/microst...ter-1588-p.asp

Together with a (Canon s110) compact camera. With the 15-45x zoom it looks like this adapter should be attached to the eyecup, and this would not be very stable. Not as with the smartphone adapter that Frank is using, where size and vibrations are reduced.
May be a good enough reason to avoid the zoom (?).

@Frank: This looks sharp enough at 45x. I also use the camera optical zoom (x3-x4) to get more magnification, and the result might also be different between the fixed 32x and the 15-45x zoom. Best would be to try out.

Anyway, I currently favor the 32x (if still available, Opticron CH) and could later post feedback about my experience.
Old Monday 14th August 2017, 06:33   #27
jring

Hi,

I think the Baader Microstage should be fastened further down on the eyepiece for a stable fit on the SDLv2. You won't be able to use the zoom then easily but since you still have the camera zoom, that's ok.

PS: Opticron themselves still offer the 40858 EP on amazon.uk - so it won't hurt asking them... or just order it - I have done so for quite a few things.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Telescope...pes/B005XXZJIC

Joachim

Last edited by jring : Monday 14th August 2017 at 06:36.
Old Monday 14th August 2017, 08:22   #28
pete_gamby
Birds? What Birds?!

Although the Amazon listing for the 40858 is still live and showing a delivery lead time, the eyepiece is no longer availalble so please don't order it as we don't have stock!

Joachim - Just FYI that listing is not an Opticron offer, it is Amazon's offer. Unfortunately, there is no way for us to actively discontinue products on Amazon. We have to wait for them to order something that is out of stock and at that point we can tell them it's gone. And then they order again and we tell them. And again. And again... You get the picture.

The only fixed mag eyepieces available now are 40810 (17x), 40831 (23x) and 40861 (72x).

Cheers, Pete
Old Monday 14th August 2017, 08:41   #29
jring

Hi,

ok that's an unfortunate situation... do you plan to introduce more fixed mag wide EPs - currently the choice is a bit uneven with two very low mag offers and one very high one... the 30 wide is quite popular for a reason...

Joachim
Old Tuesday 15th August 2017, 06:15   #30
Aigrette

+1 on the uneven choice of fixed eyepieces, maybe a replacement will soon come, or the 15-45x is too popular ?
Old Tuesday 15th August 2017, 13:30   #31
FrankD

Ditto, something in the 30-35x range would be nice.��
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAf...1LMvsLF0DExoog
Old Tuesday 15th August 2017, 14:53   #32
SEOW

Ditto here on hopes for a 30x, 32x wide angle fixed ep.
Old Wednesday 16th August 2017, 15:09   #33
pete_gamby
Birds? What Birds?!

I can ask the powers that be but what I can tell you is that sales of our 40809 eyepiece fell from several hundred a year in the early 2000s to a couple of dozen a year by 2015. That makes it very hard to put together an economically viable replacement when we'd need to place an order with the supplying factory for several hundred at a time.

Cheers, Pete
Old Wednesday 16th August 2017, 19:31   #34
giosblue

I have an early version of the 40810 and a 40809 which I use with my Pentax scope. Both excellent ep,s. and easily modified to the Astro fitting. Maybe with an adapter thrown in you might have sold more? Just a thought.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: