• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kestrels I think ? (1 Viewer)

Mike Tom

The first bird was taken in Gran Canaria in Feb of this year and the last two in Lincolnshire in 2015. I think they are all Kestrels. Can anyone confirm this and tell me the difference with a Lesser Kestrel. Many Thanks

Attachments

• Canary Island.jpg
    Canary Island.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 69
  • P1220170.JPG
    P1220170.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 39
  • P1220172.JPG
    P1220172.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 42
The first bird was taken in Gran Canaria in Feb of this year and the last two in Lincolnshire in 2015. I think they are all Kestrels. Can anyone confirm this and tell me the difference with a Lesser Kestrel. Many Thanks

The 2 main diagnostic features are not viewable in your photos unfortunately but they are :

- the primary flight feathers P10 & P7 are the same length in a CK where as in LK P10 is longer than P7

- the claws in a CK are black where as in LK they are yellow

And I agree with AlinoVegano that they are all Common!

Shane

The 2 main diagnostic features are not viewable in your photos unfortunately but they are :

- the primary flight feathers P10 & P7 are the same length in a CK where as in LK P10 is longer than P7

- the claws in a CK are black where as in LK they are yellow

And I agree with AlinoVegano that they are all Common!

Shane

Thank you very much indeed

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back