• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroscope + DSLR = Gallery! (3 Viewers)

Thanks Jules, Kev and Paul.

For a first attempt I am quite pleased with the results, although the first scene could have been shortened when compiling the movie. I should also have loosened the head a bit more for smoother panning but it was not the intention to shoot video in the first place. Anyhow the Grebes were cooperative and stayed long enough, allowing me to take the pictures I wanted after which it struck my mind the E-M5 has video capabilities.

Any suggestions for a directional microphone at a reasonable price point?

I'm planning on building my own

http://www.stefanavalos.com/microphones/smallcardioids/diymic01.htm

http://microphone-parts.com/

Thanks Jules, Kev and Paul.

For a first attempt I am quite pleased with the results, although the first scene could have been shortened when compiling the movie. I should also have loosened the head a bit more for smoother panning but it was not the intention to shoot video in the first place. Anyhow the Grebes were cooperative and stayed long enough, allowing me to take the pictures I wanted after which it struck my mind the E-M5 has video capabilities.

Any suggestions for a directional microphone at a reasonable price point?

I have a VIDPRO mike that I bought from B&H in the US. I hesitate to recommend it because it is the only one I have ever used but it works to my satisfaction and the price is right. It comes with all the needed accessories, cables and adapters.

There are all sorts on eBay and some are very cheap. I have been told by a knowledgeable person that an expensive mike is not needed for good results.

I haven't done much video but your post reactivated my interest. I may give it a go this week.

Thanks Jules,

I already had a look at what B&H offer, however I would be charged customs so that would drive the costs further. Based on what you write I guess I will try one of the cheaper directional mikes on eBay.

Thanks Jules,

I already had a look at what B&H offer, however I would be charged customs so that would drive the costs further. Based on what you write I guess I will try one of the cheaper directional mikes on eBay.

Make sure the following are included:

Audio cable and connector to your camera
Wind filter
Camera flash socket adapter (I modified my adapter so that I can use the flash socket on the camera or the finder scope socket on my scope)
Uses AA batteries
Cardioid or shotgun pattern. some look like directional but are not. Important to get rid of surrounding noises.

Good luck with your purchase
Jules

Common Whitethroat posing on Lupins

One of hese rare occasions when everything converges...

SW80 + 1.45 TN

Attachments

• Common Whitethroat (Sylvia communis)_2.jpg
    Common Whitethroat (Sylvia communis)_2.jpg
    485.7 KB · Views: 79
Thanks Jules and Carlos. With summer having made good progress I agree it's getting a bit challenging by now to locate the birds in the foilage. So why not shoot what's in the sky?

TLAPO804 (480mm), 75% frames. Action was takaing place less than 20 meters from ground.

Attachments

• P5250516-2.jpg
    P5250516-2.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 60
  • P5250293-2.jpg
    P5250293-2.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 77
Thanks Jules and Carlos. With summer having made good progress I agree it's getting a bit challenging by now to locate the birds in the foilage. So why not shoot what's in the sky?

TLAPO804 (480mm), 75% frames. Action was takaing place less than 20 meters from ground.

Also nice, particularly the second one.

Make sure the following are included:

Audio cable and connector to your camera
Wind filter
Camera flash socket adapter (I modified my adapter so that I can use the flash socket on the camera or the finder scope socket on my scope)
Uses AA batteries
Cardioid or shotgun pattern. some look like directional but are not. Important to get rid of surrounding noises.

Good luck with your purchase
Jules
The microphone I ordered was just delivered. Looking OK, however now I realize an adapter is needed (SEMA-1 I think), price tag is quite high. I suppose I will use the mike on the E-5 (has 3.5mm mike input).

Black-heade Gull

I'm quite happy with this one, 90% E-M5 frame through the TS102 700mm.

Attachments

• Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)_19.jpg
    Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)_19.jpg
    471.8 KB · Views: 71
Thanks Jules,

I had quite high keeper rate that day, around 1/3, I guess I was lucky. Here are a few more, I think they are OK though they are ~50% crops. Shame the light on the last one is a bit harsh.

Attachments

• Black-headed_Gull_Chroicocephalus_ridibundus_171.jpg
    Black-headed_Gull_Chroicocephalus_ridibundus_171.jpg
    509.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Black-headed_Gull_Chroicocephalus_ridibundus_18.jpg
    Black-headed_Gull_Chroicocephalus_ridibundus_18.jpg
    510.9 KB · Views: 46
Thanks Jules,

I had quite high keeper rate that day, around 1/3, I guess I was lucky. Here are a few more, I think they are OK though they are ~50% crops. Shame the light on the last one is a bit harsh.

"Practice makes perfect" In my case, it is more like "Luck makes perfect" but my keeper rate is way low... I find it too big a lens to focus manually on BIF unless the bird is quite far and the flight pattern is predictable, like geese. Also, a focus button instead of a focus ring makes it even more difficult. Let's not forget that scopes are made to focus on stationary objects.

Regards
Jules

Last edited:
Jules,
Though the scope is primarily meant for static subjects, however since much of the action takes place in the air (at least where I live) there are opportunities not to be missed. Mounted on a gimbal head the operation is free from effort and provides good ergonomy, however the final result is a bit of luck since the difference between good and perfect focus is a matter of a slight twist on the focuser knob that can be hard to assess with 100% certainty.
I too find that Geese are easiest, flying in a predictable way and often flying low enough to get detailed pictures. Gulls are relatively easy too, provided the wind direction is right. Waders and ducks are more difficult, but the plumage can create beautiful effects. Terns are a challenge and require good preparations from the photographer.

Double-crested Cormorants in flight

These Double-crested Cormorants are a bit like Geese; their predictable flight pattern makes focusing easier.

SW80ED at 75+ meters.
ISO 800, 1/1250 s.

Attachments

• 001-140518aa043kf.jpg
    001-140518aa043kf.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 56
Arctic Tern

I am rather pleased with this Actic Tern taken with the TS 102 700mm and EM5.

90% crop of E-M5 frame @800 ISO

Attachments

• Arctic tern (Sterna paradisaea).jpg
    Arctic tern (Sterna paradisaea).jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 59
harrier

Got lucky here.

The harriers are - easier - as they fly low and return now and then. But though it was early and not that hot, hot air became a problem fast as he was very low over the field. Detail suffered on pic 1, because of this I think.

Very rare that I get these opportunities, since I raely shoot wetlands, and not all have harriers, so it was fun.

Attachments

• P6081241.jpg
    P6081241.jpg
    462.4 KB · Views: 50
  • P6081210.jpg
    P6081210.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 50
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back