• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to see Leach's Petrel (1 Viewer)

Ist light New Brighton, then as tide comes up go as far West as there is water. There WILL be LPs. Gunsite for high tide looks great

The further west the more chance of variety

On a day like tomorrow I plan to start at NB, move to Gunsite and/or Leasowe then along to Hoylake.

You can stay in one place and do well, move and miss everything, but I find you get a feel for the tide and movement of birds on the day.

NB has the attraction of shelters - the Hoylake promenade ones don't always give you cover! Jane's observatory is warmer, dryer and has the benefit of height ;)

Jane, how do you think Wednesday morning is shaping-up?

Should be ok...my bet would be more birds than Tues, but not as close... Hilbre would be a great choice

Tues

Viewing WNWThese are my current best guesses for when... bearing in mind predicting wind patterns is not reliable, but 2-3 days ahead are usually pretty accurate

Tuesday: Tide 8.8m @ 10.15
Viewing WNW 7 am overnight tide 10:15 so a certain chance of small-medium Nos Petrels on N Wirral. Any squalls will help (the really big numbers will probably be at sea further north). Wader at high tide round the new Lifeboat station might be worth a look
NW: Still WNW 9-7 decreasing to 4 so should still put some birds into the Irish sea

Wednesday Tide 9.2m 11.04
Viewing NW 4-5 locally. Enough to keep petrels in view -probably not in the river at N Brighton, but out at sea. High tide at the gunsite for Leach's thataren't struggling andHoylake prom for waders (they start arriving 2 hours before the tide) If the weather is squallybad vis will bring all seabirds in closer... Dovepoint at high tide if you are not on Hilbre and wantmore variety
Feed: NW 6-7 enough toputmore LPs into the Irish sea

Thursday Tide 9.5m @ 11.47
Viewing sW 4-7 Enough to keep petrels close to Lancs, butmost of Wirral willbe out of play - Hoylake shore will go under apart from King's Gap
Feed: variable 6-7 - could helpor hinder

Friday Tide:12.26 @ 9.6m
Viewing:NW 2-4 time to look for waders - Hoylake shore will go under apart from King's Gap or perhaps Nearactic Landbirds at Leasowe!
Feed: NW 4-5 so probably a halt in the feed.

Saturday Tide 13.03 @ 9.5m
Viewing: W-sw 3-4 definately wader tme!

Feed .Big system arriving from the west - but blowing S-SW.

Hi Jane,

1st light is a bit too early for me. Will g to the gun point instead for high tide. Thanks so much for your help!

Ist light New Brighton, then as tide comes up go as far West as there is water. There WILL be LPs. Gunsite for high tide looks great

The further west the more chance of variety

IRISH SEA Shipping Forecast - Issued: 1625 UTC Mon 16 Sep

Wind Northwesterly 6 to gale 8 becoming cyclonic 5, then westerly 6 to gale 8 in far south later.
Sea State Moderate or rough.
Weather Showers then rain.

Hope for less of the cyclonic and more of the westerly

Rain will make it hard to see the tide edge in the pm

10 at Hoylake I added two late to Al's haul

Wind Westerly, becoming cyclonic in south, 5 to 7, then becoming northwesterly 4 or 5.

W 6 here at present and has been overnight.LPs certain! in larger nos than y'day.

Attachments

• wind.jpg
    wind.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 116
Jane. The earliest I can probably get up there is Saturday (working committments). From then on I am on holiday until Oct 7th so am free every day to go anywhere.

What are my chances of connecting with a Leaches Saturday onwards?

John

Yes.... but Hilbre will be best - wind slackening and the ones in the bay will clear out and the new ones will cut the corner... or give me call and use the office!

one in my 1st sweep and quite the most stunning adult LT skua

Three in mouth of the Mersey at Perch Rock New Brighton at first light, then another four from the lifeguard guard station at 7:30am.

Attachments

• leachespetrel.jpg
    leachespetrel.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 187
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back