• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The right scope. (1 Viewer)

Gander

I have very recently come into bird watching. I recently invested in a pair of Opticron Explorer WA binoculars (8X) and have been hugely impressed by their performance, however, I have discovered one particular limitation. That limitation was to be expected, in that on an estuary environment, I struggled to sight birds at distance. I have quickly realised that the answer lies in using a scope.

I am so happy with the Opticron binoculars, that my instinct is to go for an Opticron scope. Research of reviews and threads on this forum bear this out as a good decision.

However, I do have a question or two that I would like to put out there to help with getting the right scope for my needs. In my price bracket - That is the most I can spend without risking divorce - are two types of Opticron scope. They are the MM3 and the IS R. In the 60mm type of each, there is a £100 difference in price, with the MM3 being the more costly. My questions are, what would I be getting for my extra one hundred pounds? And as a beginner, would I really need to get whatever the extra £100 gives?

As I mentioned, the sort of place I would be using a scope would be estuaries and lochs (Eden estuary (Fife), Loch Leven (Vane Farm etc if anyone is familiar with them).

P.S - I also take it that the ED glass versions are worth the extra cost?

I could give you the advantages and disadvantages of each scope but believe that there is no substitute for you trying out the scopes yourself and making a decision based on your own experience. The Scottish Wildlife Trust are having a demonstration day of Opticron equipment at their Montrose Basin Visitor Centre on Sunday 17th July and examples of both models will be there for you to test during the day.

Hope this helps

Chris Galvin
Opticron

I could give you the advantages and disadvantages of each scope but believe that there is no substitute for you trying out the scopes yourself and making a decision based on your own experience. The Scottish Wildlife Trust are having a demonstration day of Opticron equipment at their Montrose Basin Visitor Centre on Sunday 17th July and examples of both models will be there for you to test during the day.

Thanks for the response Chris. A trial would be ideal, however, I'm on an offshore platform until Wed 27th July, so sadly I cannot make the Montrose event. I'll try some of the stockist near where I am to see if they allow trials, but if you know of any other events coming up in the first three weeks of Aug, please let me know.

Hi Gander

The Loch of the Lowes centre sell Opticron and are quite happy for you to test them out.

Whether they have the models you're interested in I don't know. You could give them a ring when you get back on shore. There's a link to the reserve on this Opus page.

I bought some bins there in the autumn, and they were very patient with me as I went through the various options.

Scopes really need a solid tripod, so leave room for that in your budget.

Subsequently, there is infinite opportunity for additional spending on various eye pieces and tripod heads. ;)

Hi Gander

The Loch of the Lowes centre sell Opticron and are quite happy for you to test them out.

Thanks Delia. I'll try that.

Scopes really need a solid tripod, so leave room for that in your budget.

Subsequently, there is infinite opportunity for additional spending on various eye pieces and tripod heads. ;)

Thanks Etudiant. Yes, the eye pieces look like another decision to make. It would seem that I either push the boat out for a SDL V2 or settle for a HR2. The waterproof quality of the SDL V2 is a bidg draw considering I'm in Scotland.

As far as I can see with tripods, it would seem that Velbon Sherpa or something similar is the preferred choice of many?

Let me know if you're heading to Loch of the Lowes and I could maybe meet you there. I'm only about 20 minutes away.

If there's a lot of Osprey action (they're going to fledge in the next couple of weeks I think) it might be better to go on a week day when it'll be quieter and the staff not so tied up with visitors.

Let me know if you're heading to Loch of the Lowes and I could maybe meet you there. I'm only about 20 minutes away.

If there's a lot of Osprey action (they're going to fledge in the next couple of weeks I think) it might be better to go on a week day when it'll be quieter and the staff not so tied up with visitors.

I was just watching their Ospreys on the Webcam.

I also noted on the website that they are having an Optics Fair on Aug 14th, with an Opticron rep in attendance, so that sounds ideal. Also, judging by the list of species on OPUS, it's well worth a visit anyway. :t:

OK Gander.... I'll see if I can keep the day free.

Not all species are there all year of course, but hopefully most of the ducks will be out an about again having finished their moult.

The feeders are always worth a look.

I'll see you Sunday then Paul.

Let's hope we can get you sorted with a nice scope.

It was a pleasure to meet you Paul and I'm so glad you found the right scope for you too.

We had a good time with the birds and squirrels, didn't we.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back