• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10X42L IS Pros/cons... (2 Viewers)

NOW 50% off MSRP today @ B&H and Adorama! :t:

Suspicions of a Mark II version around the corner stronger than ever?!!

Happy New Year,

Ted
"Suspicions of a Mark II version around the corner stronger than ever?!!"

I would be first in line for a Mark II Canon 10x42 IS-L. That will be the best binocular EVER!

Hi Binastro,

Last night I was able to spend a little time with Orion using my 15x45 Canon IS binocular. Of course M42 is visible, but not particularly bright or extended given the urban light pollution viewing here from Los Angeles. Although I am looking out toward the ocean, there is very extensive light pollution surrounding me including street lamps that don't point down and that cannot be shielded from my view except by the eye cups of the binoculars. I was sitting in a lounge chair so with the IS the view was very steady.

Within the nebula, Theta2 Ori is an easy and pretty double (actually a triple, but I'm referring to the two closer and brighter components) with a separation of just less than 60 arc sec. A few arc minutes away, still within the nebula is Theta1 Ori, which I know to be the trapezium, but I am unable to make out four stars even after some effort. In fact, I could not reliably separate A and D components of Theta1 from the C component let alone view the B component. D would "blink" into resolution now and again as separated, but A and B were just an extension of C. I could call it three based on the shape, but even this may be called "averted imagination," since I know the trapezium from telescopic experience. The trapezium mostly gave the appearance of an L-shaped hard to focus star, though I checked my focus carefully with other stars in the field.

The could be a statement about my skies, my binoculars, my eyes or all of the above. I will see what it looks like in my 10x30 IS tonight and also check it with my small refractor. I think that the lowest power I will be able to get with the refractor and current eyepieces is around 18x. If the weather holds I may also try it with tripod mounted 15x70 binoculars.

The other approach I may take is to find some simple doubles in the range of 15-20 arc sec and see if I can split them or not with the 15x45. Since I was able to split Albireo (34 arc sec) at 7x hand held this seems like a reasonable place to start with a 15x binocular for me.

BTW, just to put this in perspective, the 15x45 IS has a 4.5 degree field of view, which is about 16,000 arc seconds, so we are talking about staring at 1 part of the field in 800 or 1600 depending on whether I can resolve 20 arc sec or 10 arc sec. But I suppose I shouldn't complain as the 10x42 has a 6.5 degree field of view.

Good Observing,
Alan

Hi Alan,
Thanks for the report.

My skies have not been good and my eyes not rested, so not much luck here.
The batteries also needed changing.

I was interested to read that there are 170 million plus pieces of space junk in orbit.

What about Mizar, is that visible at 14.4 arcseconds?
If necessary make 25mm masks for the 15x45 IS as Mizar is bright.

Happy New Year and clear skies.

Last edited:
Binastro,

Just a quick follow up. I used my 10x30 IS last night, and was able to see no distinct separation of Theta1 (Trapezeum). I thought I saw some elongation and noted it's position angle (PA) relative to the PA of of Theta2, which once again was relatively easy at 10x. Checking later, the direction of observed elongation was from C in the direction of A&B. No chance to pull out refractor last night.

Alan

P.S. Apologies for going off on an astro tangent to the main topic. However, Canon IS binoculars are in my experience wonderful tools for astronomy, so I guess that is a pro.

NOW 50% off MSRP today @ B&H and Adorama! :t:

Suspicions of a Mark II version around the corner stronger than ever?!!

Happy New Year,

Ted

Now listed as 'Out of Stock' on the Canon USA web site.
Refurbished units still available, but at a premium price.

Think either discontinued or new model coming.

To my understanding, heavily discounting a product that essentially has no rivals and is going to be discontinued without a replacement model coming makes no sense from a marketing perspective. Why discount something that will become rare and irreplaceable?

But maybe this is only wishful thinking on my part.

Kimmo

To my understanding, heavily discounting a product that essentially has no rivals and is going to be discontinued without a replacement model coming makes no sense from a marketing perspective. Why discount something that will become rare and irreplaceable?

But maybe this is only wishful thinking on my part.

Kimmo

Exactly true, it would seem irrational, but there was somewhat similar behavior by Nikon when they halted their ED82. Maybe Gijs understands the drivers behind optics marketing decisions, but I don't.

I have no idea, only what I see in the field, but do they actually sell enough units to justify a ''Mark II''?

Given how often I have seen them in the relatively short time we have been going to birding "hot-spots" here in TX, along with the fact that soldiers take them to places like Afghanistan and the like, I believe they do sell enough units to justify model improvement.

And if Canon could slim them down a bit without increasing the price, they would sell like my daughter's favorite breakfast item........

Given how often I have seen them in the relatively short time we have been going to birding "hot-spots" here in TX, along with the fact that soldiers take them to places like Afghanistan and the like, I believe they do sell enough units to justify model improvement.

And if Canon could slim them down a bit without increasing the price, they would sell like my daughter's favorite breakfast item........

That's a very different picture than Ontario - places like Pelee or Niagara, with hundreds or even thousands of birders, and I have only ever seen a few in the field. Swaro's would outnumber them 100 to 1.

I've seen quite a few at Minsmere, and a Suffolk based tour leader uses the 10x42's (as does of course Chris Packham).

The Canon IS binoculars are uncommonly seen here in NYC Central Park, but all models are represented, including one veteran birder who totes her 15x50s!
I've only seen one professional guide carrying one, a 10x42L on a birding boat in Japan.

IMO, it doesn't matter who does or doesn't use the Canon 10x42L IS. For me hand-holding and with IS engaged, I can read 6mm (1\4") courier-new font type from 100m away! :eek!:

Not sure what this means in resolution analysis (I'll let the optical experts compute that out as far as the details)? Unless I use a tripod for 10X glassing in every situation (not going to happen), the sharpness, clarity and ability to consistently discern minute visual information in an optical hand-held image stabilized sight picture, is truly Amazing! :t:

Ted

Last edited:
The guy who called the races at Belmont Race Track in NY used two of them. I saw a picture of him in his booth above the racetrack in the NY Post several years ago. He was holding one and had a backup on the shelf near him. It was sitting in a vertical position. They looked like 15 or 18x50s. Probably 15x.

Bob

A few of the prominent eBird members of the Indiana AS use them. I've also seen some pelagic tour leaders using them. I've never seen anyone using them at the reservoir I manage. The most common binoculars I see are the Vortex Viper and Nikon Monarch series, with Swarovski EL being the most common of the alpha.

I was, personally, quite impressed by the views through this pair of binoculars and I am strongly considering purchasing them at their discounted price, but I'm also quite harsh on my equipment and like to use my binos for birding, hunting, and surveys at work, so I'm not sure if they'd stand up to the rigors of these activities...

jremmons,

Just get them. What Ted says in post #77 is exactly right. I have used my pair(-s) in all sorts of conditions, including in sailboat races, where they both get banged around and get wet. They are quite durable. For hunting and surveys, I would guess they work just as well if not better than for birding. Optical quality is superb.

Kimmo

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back