• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kestrel with Unbarred Rufous-pinky Tail (1 Viewer)

RecoveringScot

Photographed on Shetland:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10158689399095626&set=gm.715093828670832&type=3&theater

Note the wholly unbarred-looking pinkish tail, with terminal band. Is this just a Eurasian Kestrel with a scarce plumage? Something about the proportions and bill size also looks not usual. And that hint of a whitish supercilium. But it might be the way the bird is sitting.

According to Forsman F. tinnunculus shows thinnish dark barring on tail as juv., but 1CY naumanni juvs. may show unbarred rufous-grey tail with terminal band.

Nearly all the photos I've looked at of Kestrel sp. juvs or females show obvious tail-barring, the only exception being male American Kestrel (which species crossed my mind briefly).

Or is it all just me getting fussed about nothing?

Last edited:
Photographed on Shetland:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10158689399095626&set=gm.715093828670832&type=3&theater

Note the wholly unbarred-looking pinkish tail, with terminal band. Is this just a Eurasian Kestrel with a scarce plumage? Something about the proportions and bill size also looks not usual. And that hint of a whitish supercilium. But it might be the way the bird is sitting.

According to Forsman F. tinnunculus shows thinnish dark barring on tail as juv., but 2CY naumanni juvs. may show unbarred rufous tail with terminal band.

Nearly all the photos I've looked at of Kestrel sp. juvs or females show obvious tail-barring, the only exception being male American Kestrel (which species crossed my mind briefly).

Or is it all just me getting fussed about nothing?

Can you possibly put the photo directly on to here rather than via facebook,? as i cannot open it ...

Thanks from Mark

Last edited:
Not if it's credited to the photographer and not done for gain surely?

I know about the politeness angle of course but has he actually copyrighted it?

Crediting does not remove copyright, nor does a photographer need to actively take actions to copyright it.

Not if it's credited to the photographer and not done for gain surely?

I know about the politeness angle of course but has he actually copyrighted it?

A

Under British law copyright exists by default. You don't need to assert it as you do in America. In addition, there is no concept of 'fair use' in British copyright law unlike America (1988 Act, which I have read, as I have a personal reason for doing so). Merely crediting a photo does not abrogate the breach of copyright in posting someone else's photo. One needs permission to copy even if one is downloading for one's own use privately. The right is absolute. The only allowances are for 'educational institutions', e.g. students or teachers can reproduce up to 10% of an article or piece of writing in classwork. There is no right to copy a CD to a hard drive, even if you've bought it.

Even the BBC, in a feature on copyright law, appeared not to know that British and US copyright law are entirely different, and therefore gave dud advice.

Cheers

Last edited:
I've edited my original post, as I was a bit groggy this morning. In Forsman it's 1CY naumanni that can show unbarred rufous-grey tails with terminal band, not 2CY.

Wings look rather long in relation to the tail tip but that might just be the posture ...

I've been looking up experts e.g. Corso (in BB - pdf). Apparently both species can show or lack certain features from time to time so one has difficulty stating exactly which species it is by any single feature or couple of features. The unbarred tail, the finer streaking on the breast and flanks, the blackish small bill and apparent 'flat' face, the longish wings, and the faint black line behind the eye are all fairly good for LK, but I think one really needs an expert to be definitive about juv/fems out of range. The winds had been SE when this bird was seen, but I suppose in any case one would have to assume the commoner species, unless there's a very good reason not to. It just *looks cuter* than CK to me, and more pinky rufous too.

Cheers

Last edited:
When we had a dead LK in the village the 'parcs' guy had lots of 'plates' showing patterns on back. Sadly, I don't have access but a 'ringer ' on here should be able to examine back pattern...

When we had a dead LK in the village the 'parcs' guy had lots of 'plates' showing patterns on back. Sadly, I don't have access but a 'ringer ' on here should be able to examine back pattern...

Sounds great. Will probably be settled by a demonstration of moult stage and features about which I know as much as I know about the inner life of Donald Trump. I'm not really that optimistic.

But I'm cheered that nobody has said it's obviously a Common Kestrel ....yet.

Cheers

Claws not black that is for sure

i'm more inclined to say barring rather than spots on top of back

someone already noted wing length

where does that take us

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back