• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrows feeding pigeons? (1 Viewer)

someguy

Up until recently, we had two bird species regularly In our garden - some sparrows and some magpies that seemed to chase each other and compete for ground. I put out a bird feeder (just seeds in a tray, effectively) that got fought over and attracted a few extra birds, including a large pigeon. So we moved the tray to a branch in our tree. The larger birds now couldn't get to the seed.
I've noticed the pigeon stayed and there where usually seeds on the gorund for it. I've also seen it 'fend off' magpies via size display. About two weeks ago, I noticed the sparrows throwing seeds out out the basket to the floor and have got the idea that they're keeping the pigeon fed for protection!

Is this usual behaviour? I know it could be the sparrows doing sparrow things and the pigeon being used to our garden, but it must take some effort due to the size of the basket In comparison to them. Are our birds working together!?

Thanks for any insight

Someguy
Ps I'm in my last year of a bioscience degree, so I have some knowledge on animal behaviour and study, so I'm not just jumping the gun and suggesting these birds are organised. But I can't find any article or website describing what I am seeing :)

More likely, the sparrows are just discarding seeds they don't like (chucking them out of the way of the ones they do like), and it's chance that there's a pigeon down below that happens to like the stuff the sparrows don't like.

PS welcome to Birdforum!

More likely, the sparrows are just discarding seeds they don't like (chucking them out of the way of the ones they do like), and it's chance that there's a pigeon down below that happens to like the stuff the sparrows don't like.

PS welcome to Birdforum!

Agreed. I used to buy 'mixed seed' bird food to put in my feeders but after watching sparrows, tits and nuthatches flicking out the ones they don't want in search of their favourite black sunflower seeds, I now just buy the latter. As Nutcracker says that's what will be going on here. The sparrows are indifferent to the pigeon, and are just searching for the seeds they prefer.

I the absence of the pigeon, and you replenishing the feeder (and other good food sources nearby), I'm certain they would return eventually to the ground and pick up the discards!

Mick

I agree with Mick. The cheaper seed mixes tend to be bulked out with wheat and other grains the small birds aren't too fond of, so they just flick them aside to look for the sunflowers. Be careful that the dropped seeds don't end up attracting rats (when people complain of rats in the garden, a lot of the time bird feeders seem to be involved).

Yep, the sparrows are chucking out what they don't like and the pigeon is hoovering it up.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back