• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shorebird/Peep ID: Trinidad (1 Viewer)

bugmat

Hi all

I was going through archives and noticed this one bird with pinkish-red legs and plumage different from what I'm using to seeing especially in the tailfeathers. Unfortunately I only have the single shot but I'm hoping whether common or uncommon, someone can ID it.

Attachments

• 20150923-DSC_1296.jpg
    20150923-DSC_1296.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 149
Bill looks very slightly downcurved to me? And the legs pale pinkish, not chrome-yellow. Maybe photo artefacts though.

Then we add Stilt Sandpiper in the equation? 8-P

I don't see a Ruff here, nor a Wood Sandpiper, away from the dark (muddy?) legs, Lesser Yellowlegs seems to best bet imo.

Last edited:
Definitely not a least SP! Legs too long - bird's too big. Could be a LYL i guess (though bill looks too thin to me) and the "pink" is just an artifact though I have adjusted it in LR...I'm thinking it still isn't streaked enough and the bill isn't curved enough for a stitle.. also missing that broad supercilum i think?

I think Lesser Yellowlegs. Although the real question is that why are other people suggesting so many European birds?

Definitely not a least SP! Legs too long - bird's too big. Could be a LYL i guess (though bill looks too thin to me) and the "pink" is just an artifact though I have adjusted it in LR...I'm thinking it still isn't streaked enough and the bill isn't curved enough for a stitle.. also missing that broad supercilum i think?

Lesser YELLOWLEGS, not Sandpiper (as I said, with muddy legs).

When I first saw this I wondered if it wasn't a very pale, slightly unusual winter Wilson's pharalope. But the bill colour in particular and probably leg length are too wrong, I think. Disregarding that species, think best fit is lesser yellowlegs but it's not a super convincing match for that either.

Got some confirmation that it is a Stilt - thanks all for the comments - you got it Nutcracker! The leg length and head & beak shape were diagnostic. Guess it was in a different plumage.

Last edited:
Got some confirmation that it is a Stilt - thanks all for the comments - you got it Nutcracker! The leg length and head & beak shape were diagnostic. Guess it was in a different plumage.

It is not a Stilt Sandpiper because underwings exclude that species. I'm the first one to have suggested the species, but as a joke. Actually, I wanted to be sure, I checked dozens of flying Stilt Sandpiper photos and they never show this kind of barring like Lesser Yellowlegs.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back