• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P5100 (1 Viewer)

Malc, I hope you don't feel that I doubt your results - I don't. There just must be a reason why it works for you (and eg. IanF), but not for me... well, the most obvious difference is the camera - but there may easily be other differences in the tripod, head, adapter, ways of pressing the shutter etc. etc. And as I said in the beginning, I too keep IS/VR on almost all the time. :t:

Best regards,

Ilkka

Ilkka
As far as I am concerned, the more we can learn from each other the better.

I couldn't believe the difference it made on those pictures I posted.

Not wanting to waste any more digiscoping time that morning, getting duff pictures, I engaged VR again, and all pictures after that had no blurring.

I may have a chance tommorrow to try it again.

As you say, there doesn't seem to be a reason why VR should work down an angled scope.

Cheers

Malc

i went out scoping today after work and what-do-you-know, i got to thinking about this thread and decided to turn VR back on to see if i could tell the difference.
after i got back i checked the shots over in general and overall, everything looked good, the sequence i took of a Varied Thrush in less than forgiving conditions turned out as well as can be so that was good enough to sway me.
i'll keep VR on again, can't hurt i guess.
;)

I also went out this cold and frosty morning.

Tried the VR on and then off again.
Not so much wind today, but I still think it shows a difference.

The difference is shown most with high magnification, and slow shutter speed, as one would expect.

To illustrate it more, I have put the first test, and now todays, on one of our web pages.

Click the link here, then click on the link to the VR test

See what you think
http://lynandmholidays.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/p5000pictures.htm

Malc

Hi,

I took the P5100 out yesterday and took my first digiscoped pics with it. I am very, very, very impressed with it. I find it very easy to use and was getting pretty good results even when shooting on IS0 400/800. Bear in mind that I am not comparing this to the P5000 as my previous cameras have been the CP4500 and the Kyocera SL400!

I love this camera, will post my efforts later!

Regards
Tristan

Can anyone tell me the beat adaptor to attach the 5100 to a Leica Televid scope, tried a few enquiries in the adaptors section, but no joy there....
Really tempted to take the plunge and get the nikon to use in tandem with my Canon A95, which i still love..

Can anyone tell me the beat adaptor to attach the 5100 to a Leica Televid scope, tried a few enquiries in the adaptors section, but no joy there....
Really tempted to take the plunge and get the nikon to use in tandem with my Canon A95, which i still love..

I would suggest the Nikon UR-E250 with a 28mm thread Eage-eye adapter.

Evening every one. This is an excellent thread and I have been fascinated watching it grow. Today I sold a scope and am about convinced to take the plunge and replace my old Kodak 6230 with a 5100. Truth is I’m drooling at the prospect really. I would like to know about a couple of things tho. First off is battery life. I see back in the thread that a battery will last about 2/3 of a day so I plan to have a spare. Are they affected by the cold as badly as rechargeable AA’S? Is there a manufacturer that anyone prefers or are EN-EL5s much the same all over? My other question is about SD cards. How many shots can I expect to get on a 1gig and 2gig card and is there any point in paying £30 when I see cards advertised on amazon for a tenner
Cheers for now
Daf.

I would suggest the Nikon UR-E250 with a 28mm thread Eage-eye adapter.

I think this is the way to go too. I got a P5100 at the weekend and am using it with a tube adapter, it works very nicely indeed. I tried the SRB swing adapter and was not very impressed. I've not tried the P5100 on the Leica adapter, but it's a nice adapter if the camera fits.

Daf - from what I can see you get ~170 shots on a 1gb card, so it's probably worth having a couple of them. I've not used it enough to comment on the battery life, but it seems fine.

I think this is the way to go too. I got a P5100 at the weekend and am using it with a tube adapter, it works very nicely indeed. I tried the SRB swing adapter and was not very impressed.

How easy is it to focus using the screen on the P5100? I changed to a swing away adapter with my Fuji F30 as I was having problems determining whether the scope was focused or not from the LCD screen. I don't know if the Nikon's screen is better than the Fuji's. If it is, I would consider changing to the P5100 as I think tube type adapters are more compact and should hold their alignment better.

Ron

How easy is it to focus using the screen on the P5100? I changed to a swing away adapter with my Fuji F30 as I was having problems determining whether the scope was focused or not from the LCD screen. I don't know if the Nikon's screen is better than the Fuji's. If it is, I would consider changing to the P5100 as I think tube type adapters are more compact and should hold their alignment better.

Ron

I cannot comment in comparison with the F30, but the P5100 screen is excellent and easy to assess focus.

I would like to know about a couple of things tho. First off is battery life. I see back in the thread that a battery will last about 2/3 of a day so I plan to have a spare. Are they affected by the cold as badly as rechargeable AA’S? Is there a manufacturer that anyone prefers or are EN-EL5s much the same all over? My other question is about SD cards. How many shots can I expect to get on a 1gig and 2gig card and is there any point in paying £30 when I see cards advertised on amazon for a tenner
Cheers for now
Daf.

As previously quoted, the batterylife is really good. The battery does not seem to be dramatically effected by the cold like other types can be. I have just purchased a couple of EN-EL5's priced at £7 each from Hong Kong, I will let you know how these stand up to the Nikon's own!
As for SD cards, I have got a mixture of brands all bought fairly cheaply (all under a tenner, 1gb, 2gb & 4gb) they all seem to work very well. I would just suggest that you make sure they are of a decent write speed before you buy!

HTH
Regards
Tristan

Nikon CP5100 with Kowa 823M - initial test

I recently posted my initial digicoped attempts with the Canon Powershot S5 IS. Although the mechanics of attaching to the Kowa 823 using the DA-1 adapter and Canon's lens adapter with step-up ring was surprisingly a quick and easy process, after several field trials testing multiple settings, I came to the conclusion that image quality was certainly not on par with my old Nikon CP990 and 4500. It was very disappointing considering how well the Powershot S5 IS handles as a straight point-and-shoot with very impressive images.

Several years ago I switched over to DSLR but fall back on digiscoping for those too distant birds. However, my old CP990 was beginning to fail and, let's face it, once you own a DSLR you get spoiled very quickly and the older CP models were SOoooo slow recording the image.

Recently the ol' digiscoping bug was beginning to itch again and after reading the posts on the CP5100 and since I already had the Kowa adaptor and 28mm ring, I bit the bullet and purchased the Nikon CP5100. Ordered it yesterday, along with Nikon's adapter, and it was delivered by FedEx this morning. I dashed home on my lunch hour and was able to quick charge the battery enough to give it a try with my Kowa scope.

First, this is a small, lightweight camera, smaller than the CP 990/4500 series, but I found it relatively easy to operate the buttons. Even with the adapters attached the camera easily slipped into the pocket of my trousers. :t:

The camera fired right up and without reading the manual, I was able to quickly locate the "macro" button, change a few other settings and begin snapping images.

I have not had a chance to upload the test images to my computer but they certainly look promissing viewing on the LCD screen, noticeably more so than those digiscoped with the Canon Powershot S5 IS. I will post a few results tonight.

Brenda

I gave my P5100 a first proper test today, I'm impressed with it. It's very easy to use, the screen is great (a real step up from the 4500) and the IQ seems nice too. Now I just need to spend more time using it.

Attachments

• shel01.jpg
    shel01.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 291
  • shov01.jpg
    shov01.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 289
  • shov02.jpg
    shov02.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 346
Hi Peter, dont mean to hijack this thread but as i have a Shoveler pic very similar to yours that i took last week (possibly the same place), I thought it would make an interesting comparison. Taken with a 7.2 mp Sony P200, sadly no longer available & all the recent models now seem to have a smaller sensor.

Attachments

• shoveler.jpg
    shoveler.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 277
I gave my P5100 a first proper test today, I'm impressed with it. It's very easy to use, the screen is great (a real step up from the 4500) and the IQ seems nice too. Now I just need to spend more time using it.

These are pretty impressive! and make my first attempts with my new P5100 look dire! :C Are you using the same settings as discussed earlier in this thread?
Look forward to seeing your future pics once you've had some practise!
Regards Kim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back