• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta why so expensive? They are made in Czech Republic NOT in Germany or Austria (4 Viewers)

marinemaster

I am looking to purchase the Meopta Meostar 7x42
I have not found any prices less then $850
Are these selling ? anybody buying them ? I don't see much discount such as 20% or more. What is the story here ? I feel that at about $500 to $600 should be where they are priced, knowing that they are NOT made in GERMANY or AUSTRIA but in the Czech Republic. I am pretty sure the wages there are way lower compared with Germany or Austria. They are a good brand, but have no reputation outside this forum, so why are they so expensive ?

Are these selling ? anybody buying them ? I don't see much discount such as 20% or more. What is the story here ? I feel that at about $500 to $600 should be where they are priced, knowing that they are NOT made in GERMANY or AUSTRIA but in the Czech Republic. I am pretty sure the wages there are way lower compared with Germany or Austria. They are a good brand, but have no reputation outside this forum, so why are they so expensive ?

They are very well made and have the build, feel, and styling (e.g. use of metal) that folks associate with other European and/or alpha brands and models. The optical quality of Meopta products generally good to excellent, so all in all their products are quite attractive. I usually think of them as being the modern equivalent of the alpha offerings of 10-15 years ago. Kind of like a Leica BA Ultra/Trinovid or Zeiss Classic (which, back then, sold for $750-$950). I assume the Meopta's sell, especially since Cabela's carries their products.

As for the pricing, I'd be interested how you came up with $500-600 versus $850. In comparison to $1800 or so for the alpha brands, the latter seems quite "reasonable".

--AP

How do you figure they have no reputation outside this forum? They are known throughout the optics world as an almost equal to the Alphas, with a European pedigree. They are a truly great binocular at less than half the price of a Swaro. Your post strikes me as a little strange. Like...the nerve of a non-German, non-Austrian company to charge more for a binocular than what a Chinese knockoff should cost. For $500, you can get a really good upper-mid level binocular, probably made in China, from a number of companies. Not much more.

marinemaster,

I'd say that 95% of the performance of an Alpha (SLC's, FL's, earlier version Ultravids)
for about 50% of the cost (maybe even more savings) makes Meopta an attractive binocular.

For $500 you can get a great American branded Chinese binocular where performance is second to marketing fluff.

For what you'll get in the MeoStar 7x42 at $850... it's a bargain. I have the 7's and love them!

Cheers

I feel that at about $500 to $600 should be where they are priced, knowing that they are NOT made in GERMANY or AUSTRIA but in the Czech Republic. I am pretty sure the wages there are way lower compared with Germany or Austria.

Wages are still lower in the Czech Republic but not as low as they used to be some years ago. If you want to get profit from low wages, buy bins from Bangladesh or something similar......
The price for the material, however is the same in the Czech Republic or in Austria.

André

Are they selling: Yes.
Is anyone buying them: Yes. Also see directly above.
Is there much of a discount: No. Also see other fine binoculars.
Do Meopta bins enjoy a reputation up with the finest european and japanese binoculars: Yes.
Are Austria, Germany and Czech members of the EU: Yes.
Do EU members use the same currency: Yes.
Are binoculars made in Germany and Austria always better than those made elsewhere: No.

Where on earth did you get the idea that Meopta binoculars were only known on the Bird Forum?

Last edited:
Do Meopta bins enjoy a reputation up with the finest european and japanese binoculars: Yes.
Are binoculars made in Germany and Austria always better than those made elsewhere: No.

Where on earth did you get the idea that Meopta binoculars were only known on the Bird Forum?

To be fair, I have been birding for almost four decades and have never seen a pair in north america. Maybe it's a euro. thing?

James:
Now that was not very nice, I can find the Meopta, in the US, some of the large sporting
chains do handle these, an I saw them the other day in the showcase, and Cabelas, the big retailer has Meopta build their Euro Binoculars, recognized as a quality pick, and their best store branded choice.

I imagine in Canada, your choices are limited.

Jerry

James:
Now that was not very nice, I can find the Meopta, in the US, some of the large sporting
chains do handle these, an I saw them the other day in the showcase, and Cabelas, the big retailer has Meopta build their Euro Binoculars, recognized as a quality pick, and their best store branded choice.

I imagine in Canada, your choices are limited.

Jerry

I'm not trying to be 'nice' or 'mean', I really don't understand your inference. I know that some of the Meopta's are great bins that test really well and I would like to see a pair. That said, I have yet to see a birder with a pair....that's all, nothing nefarious implied.

Maybe I don't hang out in the right places.....

And yes our choices in Canada are limited. We have only the Hudson's Bay Company, and that's a three day bushwack through muskeg and spruce barrens......and dont' ask about the portages, or the grizzlies....Problem is, with winter setting in I will be stuck in the cabin til' spring thaw, which should be about April.;)

James:
I am not surprised about that, with choices limited, I am thinking many of the Meopta users are more of the hunting type.

The inference is that you mentioned North America in your post, and that does include the USA, and I am thinking you are not privy to sales there, so I am thinking that is the largest foreign market for Meopta, and maybe you forgot to include it.

Jerry

To be fair, I have been birding for almost four decades and have never seen a pair in north america. Maybe it's a euro. thing?

Meopta has been in the optics business for a long time but not seen in the USA until recently. There's an unfortunate tendency for some to assume that if a product isn't well-known in the USA that it must be somehow inferior. I was put off by the tone taken in the original post. Thus my over-response.

I would imagine that Swarovski had an uphill climb with their binoculars in the USA until it established a reputation. I believe they focused first on hunters. I've always wondered if the long association of the Swarovski name with their jewlery stones helped or hindered that process in the USA.

Last edited:
My first contact with Meopta binoculars was visiting Cabela stores. Meopta, however, has been marketing high quality rifle scopes for years. Since I have a strong porro bias, any relatively new comer in the roof world is almost ho hum to me. My sense looking through and handling the Meopta is that it is a very decent binocular approaching alpha roofs in opitcal quality, probably equal in mechanical quality, and a whole lot less expensive. Had that brand been available 30 years ago in the USA, its popularity would undoubtedly be greater today. John

I think the Czechs are still using the Krona as currency and are not on the Euro yet. So, their wages might contribute to the lower cost and could be a little more depressed compared to the euro and other EU wages.

cheers

It's also rumored that Meopta provides glass to Zeiss. Meopta binos and spotters are top nothc in my book! As someone said, 95% of the perfomance and less than 50% of the cost of Alphas.

I think the Czechs are still using the Krona as currency and are not on the Euro yet. So, their wages might contribute to the lower cost and could be a little more depressed compared to the euro and other EU wages.

cheers

That's true..thanks for catching it.

I would like to see a pair. That said, I have yet to see a birder with a pair....

I think that's mainly a matter of time.
Their surge in binocular ratings and the "buzz" is only recent.
I cannot find any Meoptas yet in the stores in Mass that carry good stuff.
It's mainly names from the early-20th-century "moderate price quality wave",
Like the Nikon big porros, ProStaffs and Monarchs 3,5, etc, Vortx, Alpen, etc...

Meopta would be mail-order for me, too, and that's in Massachusetts.
There's a Cabela's 65 miles away in Maine. Maybe on the way to see the folks..

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back