• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Boids from Brooklyn (1 Viewer)

Chato

I took these pictures yesterday, at Floyd Bennet Field in Brooklyn N.Y.

The first bird, I don't have a clue, and apologize for the image quality.

The Second Bird is one of those Flycatchers that I have such a problem identifying. I "think" it's an Alder Flycatcher.

Any help appreciated.

Dave

Attachments

• UNKNOWN2.jpg
    UNKNOWN2.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 86
  • ALDER_FLYCATCHER3.jpg
    ALDER_FLYCATCHER3.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 73
First one looks like an Eastern Kingbird. With the big eye-ring and short wings, I'd call the second bird a Least Flycatcher.

Well since everyone agrees, then aside from saying Thank You, I'm also suing... :(

Much thanks for the replies. Least Flycatcher - Never saw one of them before...

Dave

The empid looks green, with a fairly large bill, and darkish underparts. I'm not seeing anything that eliminates Yellow-bellied Flycatcher; I'd leave it as empid. species based on this photo.

Best,
Jim

FWIW...the pp appears to be only 40% of overlying tertials (a small projection)...shouldn't Yellow-bellied Fly. show a pp closer to c50-55%?.

Cheers

FWIW...the pp appears to be only 40% of overlying tertials (a small projection)...shouldn't Yellow-bellied Fly. show a pp closer to c50-55%?.

Cheers

While primary projection of Least tends to be shorter, there's variation and I expect some overlap (at least in terms of appearance in a photo). In any event, don't think we can reliably judge from the photo given the angle.

Jim makes a good point. And I forgot it's almost fall so yellow-bellies could be migrating through. Without a good look at the throat, I couldn't eliminate yellow-bellied.

So I'm backing off to empid sp.

Point taken, and agreed. If it's a Least, it must be a juv, given how yellow it is underneath, and the buffy wing bars. A good look at the primary projection should ice it one way or another, but this ain't really a good look.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back