• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Heron and a Tern (1 Viewer)

Chato

Shot this morning in Brooklyn N.Y. As I was shooting this Juvenile Heron, I thought it was a Yellow Crowned Night Heron. But I notice some yellow on the beak Which one is it? Black or Yellow?

As for the Tern, I have no clue? It was larger than the Common Terns, but I've never seen this one before? Sandwitch?

I have more pictures of the Heron

Dave

Attachments

• NIGHT_HERON1.jpg
    NIGHT_HERON1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 48
  • NIGHT_HERON2.jpg
    NIGHT_HERON2.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Heron.jpg
    Heron.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 64
The bill says it all.
Here a Yellow-crowned Night Heron I shot a few weeks ago:
http://www.birdwatching.pl/galeria/ostatnio-dodane/zdjecie/72026

Ah yes. But for Juveniles all my books show the Yellow Crowned with a pure black bill, whereas the Black Crowned has yellow mixed in on the bottom. This has been the way I differentiate between Juveniles. This guy had just a bit of yellow on the bottom of his bill - Thus my posting here for expert opinion... :)

(I've never seen one this small either)

Again - Much thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back