• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hooded or Red Breasted Merganser? (1 Viewer)

Chato

This was shot this morning at Plum Beach Brooklyn N.Y.. I have often seen Red Breasted Mergansers in the sea around this marsh, but in 15 years of shooting here, never seen either a Common or Hooded Merganser.

This appears to me to be a Hooded Merganser, which I have trouble believing.

Any help appreciated....

Dave

Attachments

• HOODED_MERGANSER1.jpg
    HOODED_MERGANSER1.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 153
Ditto to Hooded - the lack of reddish tones in the head is one of many clues

Wow! This is unbelievable. I had No Idea they even swam in salt water. I've seen them upstate, but Never here in the Ocean. Never saw a Common Merganser here either.

Have others seen them in salt water?

I so wish that the little lady was in better light or at least had the courtesy to swim closer... :-O

Dave

I've seen them in brackish marshes before. Just about any duck will occasionally be found in the "wrong" habitat, especially as they migrate, hit the coast and look for somewhere to spend the day foraging.

I've seen them in brackish marshes before. Just about any duck will occasionally be found in the "wrong" habitat, especially as they migrate, hit the coast and look for somewhere to spend the day foraging.

Much thanks! I love these little Mergansers, and think the females are the cutest ducks in the world. I'd keep one for a pet, if I had a larger bathtub... :king:

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back