• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

short-toed treecreeper Germany/Czech Republic (1 Viewer)

GarethHawkes

Hi all,

I have been trying to work out if treecreepers I saw in Germany and Czech Republic were short toed. I know that it is very difficult to differentiate without sounds, etc. But do the locations help as they were all semi-urban.

Tiergarten, in central Berlin.
Great Garden, Central Dresden
Pillnitz
Prague, in some trees alongside Corinthia Hotel.

I tried some photographs but they didn't turn out very well. I have included some as they might just help.

First one was in Pillnitz, near Dresden, in the gardens ofthe castle
The other 3 were of the bird in Prague.

Regards

Gareth

Attachments

• C40D14797.JPG
    C40D14797.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 76
  • C40D14975.jpg
    C40D14975.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 86
  • C40D14978.JPG
    C40D14978.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 62
  • C40D14988.JPG
    C40D14988.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 72
Whitish tips on the primaries (although not really the primary spacing in bird 1), "spiky-edged" buff wing stripe and the short hind-claw point to Short-toed. It's also the more usual "town treecreeper" as far as I've found, but that would be a dangerous means of i.d.!

If no 2 and 4 were my photos, they would be stored as STT, both length of claw and length of bill seems to fit, and also the wing pattern that I can see. If image three is same bird, then it would be the same. Image one I am on the fence.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back