• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Nikon Fieldscope is this ? (1 Viewer)

The photo is excellent, but i have to take into account how good you are at any type of photography ;)

Very true, but I regard that as my target and keep motivating myself to go for that...

So should we all be going back to P & S LOL. There must b a way to better DSLR. We just got to keep trying to get it.

No, I was just saying that putting a decent eyepiece like a wide field Baader Hyperion on the SW 80ED or its variants produces excellent viewing results, either for terrestrial or astro viewing.

Not sure what effect an ED eyepiece has on CA on a basic achromat as I've not tested it before. I've read on astro forums that trying different prisms and barlows can greatly correct CA on basic achromats so an eyepiece might have some effect too.

Paul.
Should try something out and see the effect. You still got your non ED scope? Try it out, even if with a DSLR lens with ED should show something. How I wish my scope is here already. Hoping to get it today or tomorrow.

Very true, but I regard that as my target and keep motivating myself to go for that...

So should we all be going back to P & S LOL. There must b a way to better DSLR. We just got to keep trying to get it.

Prime focus with the dslr/astro scope is just so much quicker than digiscoping that I could never go back. With a spotting scope there is the hassle with finding the target, zooming the camera/eyepiece to frame the shot, focus the scope and then wait for the P&S to focus when you press the shutter and after all that the bird has gone. That all takes valuable seconds, maybe 10 or 15 seconds to do all that. With my astro scope I can be on a target, focused, correct shutter speed in literally about 2 seconds because I can be doing everything all at once. The only limiting factor is the ability of the operator and not the gear itself which is the other way around with a P&S. Plus with prime focus, flying shots are way easier.

Overall image quality is better with prime focus up to a point. Yes, you are limed to around 1500mm but because of the pixels in a dslr you can easily crop by 50% and not notice, so that basically gives you 3000mm and that's not adding in any crop factors of the dslr sensor. P&S really comes into its own upwards of say 4000mm. Up to that I can pretty much match or surpass image quality with the dslr.

On top of that though you have other decisions like are you mainly a photographer or mainly a bird watcher. That will sway you one way or the other as to what equipment best suits you. Over the years I've found what works best for me.

Paul.

I'm betting that if you had this 60mm Nikon, you'd be pulling it apart to see what EP's you could get glued in ;)

Henry reckoned that this 30x EP i have is an Abbe Ortho, rather than an Erfle, and i'm not sure if there is a quality difference between the two, rather than just a narrow 43 degree FOV of the Abbe.

I bet, somewhere, there's an obscure EP that'd slip in the Nikon with a bit of help, but its too risky experimenting. We'll see what happens when i get a camera.

Depending whether this impending CA rears its ugly head, i'm also thinking about what you said re. a -violet filter. If i bought the A590IS, the converter adapter for this model, which is still available, has 52mm outer thread, and if there's a -violet filter in 52mm mount, could be worth experimenting with

I think I'm getting my abbe's and erfle's mixed up as mine is an Abbe orthoscopic too. Abbe's are one of the best design's ever invented, just the field of view isn't that wide.

You can bet I would be trying out some fandangled way to get an eyepiece on that Nikon.

The minus violet filter removes a lot of light which will be a premium anyway on a 60mm scope. Better to just remove any CA in Photoshop. It will probably only be a problem in certain cases, like bright white birds etc.

Paul.

Paul, for a while I seems to forget about the real downside of P & S. They seems to hunt forever at the very moment you need to take a shot. I remember during my P & S days when I never got a birthday cake with candles still lit but swayed by the wind blown. All I always got are the residue smoke which started me going back to SLR.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back