• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (9 Viewers)

Last year we scored with wood warblers in the first week of May - the other side of the river though above the bodgers place.

I counted three last year but only saw one of them. Is the Bodger the bloke who makes things from wood? There was one above his workshop. That was mid to late May. Looks like the cold snap may be fading by the end of the week and better weather will hopefully last a bit longer. A cycle ride to Skipwith common could be beckoning also.

Swillington good for migrants today - cuckoo (singing), lesser whitethroat, wheatear, yellow wagtail, whimbrel, ruff, black-tailed godwit plus others - see Swillington Ings website - https://sibg1.wordpress.com/bird-sightings/sightings/

Swillington/St Aidans has been outstanding for the last few weeks - I had whoopers and a Bewick last week, along with black-necked grebe in beautiful plumage and later still short eared owl around. Some pix are on the rare bird alert gallery for anyone interested.
Bittern booming too.

Concerning the Friends of Spurn Observatory: I'd be very glad to join now that I've cencelled my YWT Direct Debit, but it seems the only way to pay is by cheque? I don't think many people have cheque books nowadays, and I certainly haven't seen mine for several years. Is it possible to join in person anywhere for cash next time I am on site?

Only just seen this - you can buy your membership if you go into the shop from the SBO website too.

Could anyone provide any tips for seeing Willow Tit at Askham Bog please - in York for the next few days and might have time to pop out after work.
Thanks in advance!

As I understand it, park up on the slip road off the A64.. Walk into the reserve and bingo.

Sent from my Bush Spira B2 10 tablet using Tapatalk

As I understand it, park up on the slip road off the A64.. Walk into the reserve and bingo.

Sent from my Bush Spira B2 10 tablet using Tapatalk

Thanks, but I walked the reserve for two hours last night and neither heard or saw any Willow Tit. So, just wondered if there are specific locations that are best, are they reasonably common there or just a handful of birds? I'll try again before I leave York but if anyone has any suggestion for specific locations then much appreciated.

Thanks again - Graham

Hi Graham

I've not been there this spring, but FWIW...

From the boardwalk walking anti-clockwise from the entrance, the best places (for me) over the last couple of years have been close to the entrance near where the boardwalk splits into the loop and at the far end of the loop near where you first start to head back to the entrance (between the far end and the royal fern signage). Of course, others may have different experiences.

I almost always pick them up on call first (the wheeze and the chickadee-type call). There are Marsh Tits there, too BTW.

Good luck

John

Thanks, but I walked the reserve for two hours last night and neither heard or saw any Willow Tit. So, just wondered if there are specific locations that are best, are they reasonably common there or just a handful of birds? I'll try again before I leave York but if anyone has any suggestion for specific locations then much appreciated.

Thanks again - Graham

The entrance to Wheldrake Ings used to be excellent for them including first couple of hundred yards over the bridge.

Thanks again - Graham

The entrance to Wheldrake Ings used to be excellent for them including first couple of hundred yards over the bridge.

Fairburn good for Willow Tit.

Anyone been to Timble Ings this spring? Any woodcock roding?
Some of our members were there Saturday and had them roding along the main track quite early on,about 8pm. It had been a showery day so that may have affected their timing. They were also seen in the Bewerly area near P.Bridge the same evening.

Been to Spurn a few times over last couple of weeks,can not believe the YWT are ripping up bushes and habitat during the breading season what complete tools.Think people will get a shock at the destruction they are causing in the name of profit. RANT OVER.

Dave, I totally agree with you - I have seen the photos on twitter and I am gutted. YWT should not be allowed to use the words, Yorkshire, Wildlife or Trust in their title as no one trusts them, they do not represent Yorkshire and worst of all they have no thought for wildlife. They worship money.... end of.
Been to Spurn a few times over last couple of weeks,can not believe the YWT are ripping up bushes and habitat during the breading season what complete tools.Think people will get a shock at the destruction they are causing in the name of profit. RANT OVER.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back