• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iberian chiffchaff or Willow warbler (1 Viewer)

Checking the primary projection on a blown up version of the first photo shows a primary projection of 90% (compared to tertial length) which firmly puts Willow Warbler territory (80-100% primary projection). Iberian is usually given as 70% and Common as 60%. However, given individual variation and the problems of accurately measuring this feature from photographs, I remain unconvinced that this feature is always 100% reliable as I'd be surprised if there's not a degree of overlap with some Willow Warblers at the upper end of Iberian's range or, come to that, with some Common Chiffchaffs at the other end of the spectrum. Unfortunately, I've no concrete evidence of this .... does anyone?

Checking the primary projection on a blown up version of the first photo shows a primary projection of 90% (compared to tertial length) which firmly puts Willow Warbler territory (80-100% primary projection). Iberian is usually given as 70% and Common as 60%. However, given individual variation and the problems of accurately measuring this feature from photographs, I remain unconvinced that this feature is always 100% reliable as I'd be surprised if there's not a degree of overlap with some Willow Warblers at the upper end of Iberian's range or, come to that, with some Common Chiffchaffs at the other end of the spectrum. Unfortunately, I've no concrete evidence of this .... does anyone?

Thank you John. It's very interesting what you're talking about. But it's very difficult to see that in the field. Rather I consider it a fact to have the bird in hand. Although it can also be seen in photo.
According to your rule, then this is a Common chiffchaff?

Attachments

• Mosquitero.jpg
    Mosquitero.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 49
Thank you John. It's very interesting what you're talking about. But it's very difficult to see that in the field. Rather I consider it a fact to have the bird in hand. Although it can also be seen in photo.
According to your rule, then this is a Common chiffchaff?

Apologies for not making myself clear. A primary projection of 90% shows it to be a Willow Warbler. I agree that primary projection is best judged in the hand or in photos but the shortest winged Common Chiffchaffs and longer winged Willows should be distinguishable in the field. Iberians are harder, of course. Perhaps because of the name, people tend not to fully appreciate that distinguishing a non-vocalising Iberian Chiffchaff from a Willow Warbler can be, in my view, as hard (or sometimes harder) than telling them from Common Chiffchaff. This is illustrated by the fact, which few today realise, that for decades the Iberian Chiffchaffs in western Andalucia were thought to be odd Willow Warblers.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back