• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

pygmy cormorant from Poland ? (1 Viewer)

Michał Jaro

Please help me with this cormorant. Could it be great cormorant with such a long tail ?

Attachments

• IMG_8596.JPG
    IMG_8596.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_8598.JPG
    IMG_8598.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_8599.JPG
    IMG_8599.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Thank's a lot Daniel !
So I understand that's for sure ?
I asked couple of times in other forums without any help ... Or people claimed that is great cormorant.

Hi Michal,

Michał Jaro;3641022 said:
Please help me with this cormorant. Could it be great cormorant with such a long tail ?

I just tried to check ornitho.pl to see how frequently Pygmy Cormorants are reported in Poland, but though my ornitho.de login works, I'm not allowed to query the ornitho.pl database because I don't have entered the minimum number of records there. (Silly policy, if you ask me!)

In Germany at least, there are quite a few records for Pygmy Cormorants each year, mostly in the South though. Hardly any north of 52° N (Warsaw's latitude, for reference).

Regards,

Henning

Only seen Pygmy Cormorant once, in Croatia, but it is much, much smaller than cormorant; even allowing for normal difficulty of judging size.

I think yet alone on pic 1 the bill looks too long and too slender for Pygmy... But you saw the bird, Pygmy would have a much faster wingbeat than Great Cormorant. For me it looks like a (slightly odd) Great Cormorant.

Thanks so much for your help in recognizing.
In response to your commnets:
I just once saw pygmy cormorant - in croatia too. And I really paid attention the fast movement of the wings
That one cormorant is from Polland and I saw that bird year ago - before croatian observation :) one thing which was wondering me was that long - in my opinion - tail. I do not remember anything more.
In ornitho there are 97 observations of pygmy in 25 squares (2008-2017) rather in south or east regions. Yes - it's strange policy.I do not think it would be an incentive to enter data ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back