• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feature Comparison for a Digiscoping Camera (1 Viewer)

Alastair Rae said:
Attachments can only be images or text.

I've attached a CSV (comma separated values) file as txt. You'd have to save it, rename as a csv and import into spreadsheet to view it properly and then reverse the procedure to upload it.

I can't see this procedure working |^|
Hi, I have been looking at the results of yours and the other charts, and feel, though it shows promise, it will eventually become to cluttered and difficult to read. if you were to put the features at the top. then each camera with scores on seperate lines, it would be much easier to read. I do not know how to attach an example. Ernie

DIGISCOPING CAMERA FEATURES |

FEATURE LIST

Group1 Lens, Zoom, Vignetting |
Group2 Ease of use, Menus Menu's, Custom Modes |
Group3 Image Quality, Raw, File Size, Noise. |
Group4 Adapter Thread, Tripod Thread. |
Grou5 Remote Control, Flexible Self-Timer. |
Group6 Continuos Frame Rate. |
Group7 Screen, Size, Pixels, Rotatable. |
Group8 Battery Life. |
Group9 Robustness |
Group10 Other Features, Optical Viewfinder, Video. |

------------Group1 Group2 Group3 Group4 Group5 Group6 Group7 Group8 Group9 Group10
Camera

Canon A610. 4x / 4. 5 4 5. 5 0 5 4. yes/yes. 0/2+10. 1.9fps. 2/5m/R. 3. 5. Yes/Yes.
CanonA620. 4x / 4. 5 4 5. 5 0 5 4. yes/yes. 0/2+10. 2fps. 2/7m/R 4. 5. Yes/Yes/ pc ctrl.
Canon A95
I came up with this layout in exel, copied and pasted then here but the columns have been bunched, you should be able to get the idea. Ernie

Last edited:
I'm going to add my thoughts on the Nikon CP8400 which I have been using now for about a month. It is now my camera of choice , the Olympus 7070wz relegated to backup. The main benefits are the Electronic Viewfinder which is a boon for locating the bird quickly and following it and quickly focusing, and the speed of 5 frames per second at 2.3/second. The only two niggles that I have is the very limited Remote which only fires 1 frame and the Self-timer also, and the noisy sensor over iso 100. Neil
ps here is a photo taken with it

Lens (vignetting issue) 3 5 4 5 1 5
Ease of Use (Menus,Custom Modes, 4 2 5 3 3 5
buttons,handling,histogram )
Image Quality (RAW,file size,noise) 4 3 4 3 3 5
Thread for Adapter/tripod thread 5 2 5 1 4 5
Remote Control/Flexible Self-timer 4 (R) 2 5 (R) 3 4 4
Frame Rate per second/Continuous 2 5 3 4 3 5
Screen (rotatable/hi-res ) 3(R) 3(R) 4(R) 4 3 5
Battery Life 2 1 3 5 4 5
Robustness (drop-a-bility ) 3 1 5 2 4 5
Others (eg.EVF, optical viewfinder,
video,panorama )
(1 is usable, 5 is very good,3 plus makes for a good digiscoping feature )

Attachments

• long tailed shrikeDSCN1715.jpg
    long tailed shrikeDSCN1715.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 176
Neil said:
I'm going to add my thoughts on the Nikon CP8400 which I have been using now for about a month. It is now my camera of choice , the Olympus 7070wz relegated to backup. The main benefits are the Electronic Viewfinder which is a boon for locating the bird quickly and following it and quickly focusing, and the speed of 5 frames per second at 2.3/second. The only two niggles that I have is the very limited Remote which only fires 1 frame and the Self-timer also, and the noisy sensor over iso 100. Neil
ps here is a photo taken with it

Lens (vignetting issue) 3 5 4 5 1 5
Ease of Use (Menus,Custom Modes, 4 2 5 3 3 5
buttons,handling,histogram )
Image Quality (RAW,file size,noise) 4 3 4 3 3 5
Thread for Adapter/tripod thread 5 2 5 1 4 5
Remote Control/Flexible Self-timer 4 (R) 2 5 (R) 3 4 4
Frame Rate per second/Continuous 2 5 3 4 3 5
Screen (rotatable/hi-res ) 3(R) 3(R) 4(R) 4 3 5
Battery Life 2 1 3 5 4 5
Robustness (drop-a-bility ) 3 1 5 2 4 5
Others (eg.EVF, optical viewfinder,
video,panorama )
(1 is usable, 5 is very good,3 plus makes for a good digiscoping feature )

Great image Neil, I am in the running for another camera, I will take a good look at this one. Ernie

I think we have just about covered the most used camers, but if anyone else has a view please chip in.

Neil great pic I can see why this is your number one choice.

Paul,
Thanks, The lcd screen is surprisingly sharp too. Better than the Olympus 7070 wz. I had to use it on Monday as the Chinese Pond Herons were feeding below eye level from the hide and the windows are too low to stand up so I had to stoop which I don't like doing. I rotated the screen and was able to follow the birds around even though they were out of my line of sight while I was sitting down.
I think we can now just wait and see what Fuji come out with next as they should be the most likely to come out with a fully featured digicam as they don't have their own DSLR. Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back