• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdforum Digiscoping - Bird Photography Weekend (1 Viewer)

jill halpin said:
I would like to have a place on this course at Rutland Water.
I have a Swarovski HD 20 - 60 S telescope with camera attachment but have been unnable to find a suitable camera.

Hi Jill and welcome to BF

The scope you have is great for digiscoping and you should be able to find a range of cameras that would work fine with it. It will depend a bit which of the camera adapters you've got, if it's the one that swings up over the scope then any compact digital camera with a 3x optical zoom (and tripod mount) should work fine. If it's the adapter that slips over the eyepeice you will be more restricted in camera choice, but there are still plenty that will do the job.

The Fuji F30 is a popular digiscoping camera and can be picked up for about £150, it's definitely worth a look. If you can go to the weekend you'll be able to learn digiscoping from some real experts, and try out a few different cameras.

Andy Bright said:
We have a Birdforum digiscoping weekend on the 29th of March to 1st of April alongside Rutland Water at the Whitwell Hotel & Conference Centre.

The course will run from the evening of Friday, 30th March to the afternoon of Sunday, 1st April 2007, with accommodation and meals included in the package.

We only have a limited amount of places on this weekend remaining.

There will be a limited number of day places available, but these places go nearly as quickly as the weekend package.

Paul Hackett and myself will be there for the digiscoping side of things, but Nigel Blake will also be covering aspects of traditional bird photography.

We will be announcing more details in the next week or so.
So, watch this space for more news.

cheers,
Andy

Hi Andy,

I would love to attend one of your digiscoping classes but living in the US makes it hard to arrange. Have you every thought about having one of your courses video taped and turned into a informal computer based training course? You could sell a burned DVD to people who can't make it there in person.

I don't know how many people would purchase the DVD but maybe you could setup a poll to see if there would be enough interest to produce.

Thanks,

YellowBudgie said:
Hi Andy,

I would love to attend one of your digiscoping classes but living in the US makes it hard to arrange. Have you every thought about having one of your courses video taped and turned into a informal computer based training course? You could sell a burned DVD to people who can't make it there in person.

I don't know how many people would purchase the DVD but maybe you could setup a poll to see if there would be enough interest to produce.

Thanks,
I think we will be taking some video footage of the weekend, and this can be shown on http://www.wildlifechannel.tv/ for all to see. In the future, we hope to do a more comprehensive video guide to digiscoping, which will also be shown on http://www.wildlifechannel.tv/ This seems like the ideal solution, as it will be free and gets around the problem of regional broadcast systems.

cheers
Andy

Andy Bright said:
I think we will be taking some video footage of the weekend, and this can be shown on http://www.wildlifechannel.tv/ for all to see. In the future, we hope to do a more comprehensive video guide to digiscoping, which will also be shown on http://www.wildlifechannel.tv/ This seems like the ideal solution, as it will be free and gets around the problem of regional broadcast systems.

cheers
Andy

Hi Andy,

That would be great! With so many new people interested in digiscoping as well as using a DSLR for bird photos it would be great to give them a link to a video to answer allot of their questions.

I had purchased a camcorder for birding video recently but had trouble with it and returned it. I would love to submit American bird videos to wildlifechannel.tv. If I could find someone to do the narration I would love to contribute. One day when I get another camcorder I can put something up.

The nice thing about the model I purchased was it could record 7 hours in the highest quality mode in wide-screen onto it's 30 gig hard drive. I left it running pointed at the 4 suets and came home to see what birds had stopped by. When I used it on a tri-pod it was awful. It would not auto focus where I wanted even with spot focus. The quality wasn't too great, I guess not many brands are. Will have to do more research next time.

Thanks for all your great posts and a great website, here and http://www.digiscopingukbirds.homestead.com/

See ya!

Great day

Andy Bright said:
NOW SOLD OUT!!

I was only able to attend on the Saturday, but it was a great day. Many thanks to all concerned - especially, since I was on the DSLR side, to Nigel Blake for sharing his insights and techniques with us.

Bill W.

What a great weekend, Hard work for Paul and myself, but extremely enjoyable hard work, so, very many thanks to those who attended, those who organised it all and to the hotel staff........ and a special message to the angler that caught my trout "chuck the small ones back!!"
Attached are pix of the crowd, one of the friendly Dunnocks at the feeders, sadly none of the trout as I'd left the Macro lens at home!

Attachments

• _MG_1094.JPG
    _MG_1094.JPG
    250.8 KB · Views: 166
  • _E2D4302.JPG
    _E2D4302.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 138
A wonderful weekend.

I attended this wonderful weekend and i want to say a big thankyou to Andy,Steve and Paul, but especially to Nigel for all your help and encouragement,you are a top man! I would highly recomend these weekends to anyone considering them in the future.The whole weekend was very informal and relaxed. Thankyou all once again.

ps. Better luck with your next trout Nigel.

Excellent tution

I'd just like to echo what has previously been said. A great time learning from Paul and Andy (I did the digiscoping), but also on hearing how other members of the group where managing. A big thank you :clap: for all the help given; the proof of the pudding as they say will be in the newly posted pictures.

Attended the Saturday of the Digiscoping weekend at Rutland and learnt a lot. Many thanks, Paul and Andy. Highly recommended.

When is your next digiscoping day in the UK?

Mike

Hi Mike, glad you enjoyed your day with us.
We have another weekend planned, and we're aiming for the 2nd weekend in September... but that particular weekend is provisional at the moment.

cheers,
Andy

Just to say thank you for all the tips and tricks that I learned over the weekend. I was hoping to post some pics but my field skills are nowhere near as good as Nigel's! It just proves what a fantastic job was done over the previous weeks with the feeders. Hopefully he'll publish his book/DVD or maybe course purely based on field skills?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back