• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Type of Finch? Idaho (1 Viewer)

rush2112

I shot this bird at the feeder near Boise, Idaho on 14 May 2009.

I suspect its a type of Finch (I have a lot of House Finches visiting the feeders). Though I don't think its a House Finch as it appears to lack the white striping on the wings and 'speckling' on it's chest.

In the first attached photo, it looks like white on it's wings, but it was just harsh directional sunlight.

The third photo was one of the 'Darn it!' shots as it must have moved its head slightly and I was shooting at a slow shutter speed - blur!

Could it just be a House Finch with variance in color?

Thank you very much for taking a look!

Rush

Attachments

• Brown-Finch-1.jpg
    Brown-Finch-1.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 60
  • Brown-Finch-2.jpg
    Brown-Finch-2.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Brown-Finch-3.jpg
    Brown-Finch-3.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 61
Figured that one might be easy for ya'll.

That also helped identify another one that I had previously misidentified - the male counter part that I thought was a Western Blue Bird.

Thanks again!

Rush

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back