• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

long legged buzzard from Poland ? (1 Viewer)

Michał Jaro

Hi
I think it cam be my first long legged buzzard. But my pictures are very poor.
Can you confirm ?

Attachments

• IMG_3795.JPG
    IMG_3795.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3796.JPG
    IMG_3796.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3803.JPG
    IMG_3803.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3805.JPG
    IMG_3805.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 37
'interesting' pictures but how to ID a Long-legged here?
Gut feeling is adult bird with subterminal bar in tail in pic 3 which would be at odds with Long-legged...

Thanks for help!
First - vulpinus is VERY! rare bird in Poland.
Second - bird drew my attention by:
1) eye-catching contrast between white primaries and wide black edge.
2) brown/redcoverts, dark primary coverts ( lower) .
I don't see bar in tail, too poor picture I think ...
Could it be buteo buteo with that chatacteristics?

Definitely a Common Buzzard indeed, Michał Jaro, I woudn't say vulpinus is very rare in Poland: I guess many Eastern Poland buteo Common Buzzard are also partly vulpinus. Most a mixed genes in this area.

Thanks for opinion. There is one question - why we cant't see even once a year clear vulpinus ? :) In polish rare birds lists you don't find vulpinus couple of years back.

Michał Jaro;3625159 said:
Thanks for opinion. There is one question - why we cant't see even once a year clear vulpinus ? :) In polish rare birds lists you don't find vulpinus couple of years back.

Because vulpinus is not an easy subspecies to identify in the field, and when seen away from the main breeding areas, migration routes and winter quarters, it is therefore advisible* to record sight records of vulpinus-like Buzzards merely as "showing the characters of vulpinus".

Consequently such records don't make it to the definite national list of species/subspecies of the country in question, except of course if a bird was captured or found dead, and proved to be small enough to exclude the nominate and intermediate individuals.

Peter

* http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id=43506
scroll down to the post by Dick Forsman near the bottom of the page

Last edited:
Michał Jaro;3625159 said:

I agree with P. Sunensen opinion, and recall that mixed-genes individuals are not listed as vulpinus in lists.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back